1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restoring after Klez removal

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by JuneC, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JuneC

JuneC Thread Starter

Hello all! Welcome to my nightmare! My sister-in-law had a Compaq Presario 2005US model PC with a pretty bad case of Klez.h and ElKern. (Running Windows ME.) I installed the PC-Cillin free trial software (since no virus software had previously been used:eek: ) and it worked really well:D ! HOWEVER adaptec cd creator was corrupted beyond cleaning. She has never backed up her programs by any means. PROBLEM: Her Compaq came w/ what the nice Compaq tech support people like to call "Quick Restore". It is a single disk. When you open it, you are given the choice to either do a complete factory restore or restore to your last backup(nonexistent in this case). QUESTION: Is there any way at all to access the individual programs on the disk,or should I just restore it to factory configuration and hope the pain in the :eek: of reinstalling everything teaches her a valuable if not painful lesson?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I can't really answer the question about the Compaq disk, you might want to post a separate question for that in the Operating System Forum and be sure to make the topic catches the eye of Compaq owners.

But are you sure the virus was completely removed? There are other removal tools available. They MUST be run in Safe Mode to completely remove all instances. I'd try the Symantec one for starters.

http://forums.techguy.org/t79884/s3c6ecccf756bad01bc2317ed6712d38c.html

http://support.roxio.com/en/support/roxio_support/ecdc/ecdc_engine_init_error.html

3. JuneC

JuneC Thread Starter

Symantec is a good one. Actually I started with their Klezfix.com download. It wouldn't run completely through without giving me an error box, but it did fix enough for me to start up. That enabled me to install the PC-cillin trial. I uninstalled adaptec and my dad had bought adaptec on a seperate disk, so I installed that just to get her document files backed up to a cd. Didnt want to leave that installed because I imagine they would frown on 2 people updating the same program! I called the nice tech support people at Compaq and they really didn't want to give much support other than to repeatedly tell me I should buy an extended warrant and let them trouble shoot it for me #^!#$**!!! Guy even had the nerve to ask if he could do anything else for me. Several replies came to mind, but none I could post here! So...I chalked this one up 1 for the bugs and restored it to factory config. I also downloaded the PC-cillin trial to disk for my sister-in law and wrote her a note to install it before she does ANYTHING. I included a reminder to please...for the love of God...MAKE A BACKUP!!!!
    And so ends my own personal lesson in keeping my big trap shut when family is complaining of their computer woes. Repeat after me.........I know nothing!
    PS Thanks for the input Rog! At least I know I was on the right track.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're welcome for the effort. We all have to make decisions about how much time we want to spend on something just for the sheer glory of solving the problem. Often it's really more practical to backup what you can and start from scratch, as you did.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!