Restoring computer to a previous date

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

reset1

Hi,

I am trying to restore my computer to yesterday's date. I accidentally deleted some folders that I had.

I am running WindowsXP Home Edition and the SP2 has been installed. WHen I try to run the restore program, the message that the framedyn.dll file cannot be found. When I check the directory and the file folder for windows, the file is there in the I386 folder. Why is this happening.

The most recent program that was added to my computer was PowerDesk 5.0. Could this have caused the problem?

Help, I'm desperate!!!

reset1

See if framedyn.dll is in the Windows\system32\wbem\ folder and copy it over if it isn't

cwwozniak

Chuck
Running Windows System Restore to go back to a previous date may not recover some files and folders that you have deleted.

From the MS web site ... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

System Restore takes a "snapshot" of critical system files and some program files and stores this information as restore points. You can use these restore points to return Windows XP to a previous state.
Have you looked in the Recycle Bin?

reset1

The folders were deleted within a program called PowerDesk. I had no idea they would be eliminated from my documents folder as well.

When I tried system restore, it didn't work at all. It appears that the system32 file folder is empty....no files when I open it.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Sorry to say that I have never heard of PowerDesk.

I don't think Windows would boot up normally if the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder was empty. I believe that it normally should have thousands of systems files totaling hundreds of megabytes. Make sure you do not have Windows Explorer set to hide system files.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online