1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restoring computer to a previous date

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by reset1, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reset1

reset1 Thread Starter

Hi,

I am trying to restore my computer to yesterday's date. I accidentally deleted some folders that I had.

I am running WindowsXP Home Edition and the SP2 has been installed. WHen I try to run the restore program, the message that the framedyn.dll file cannot be found. When I check the directory and the file folder for windows, the file is there in the I386 folder. Why is this happening.

The most recent program that was added to my computer was PowerDesk 5.0. Could this have caused the problem?

Help, I'm desperate!!!

reset1

2. Cyps

Cyps

See if framedyn.dll is in the Windows\system32\wbem\ folder and copy it over if it isn't

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Running Windows System Restore to go back to a previous date may not recover some files and folders that you have deleted.

From the MS web site ... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

Have you looked in the Recycle Bin?

4. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
  6. reset1

reset1 Thread Starter

The folders were deleted within a program called PowerDesk. I had no idea they would be eliminated from my documents folder as well.

When I tried system restore, it didn't work at all. It appears that the system32 file folder is empty....no files when I open it.

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Sorry to say that I have never heard of PowerDesk.

I don't think Windows would boot up normally if the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder was empty. I believe that it normally should have thousands of systems files totaling hundreds of megabytes. Make sure you do not have Windows Explorer set to hide system files.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice