1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restoring data from old working hard drive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by XvEnOmX, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XvEnOmX

XvEnOmX Thread Starter

My computer crashed the other day and wouldn't boot the OS(XP Pro) so I went out and bought a new hard drive and copy of XP Pro OEM Edition; Office Max wanted $300 for XP Pro SP2, the OEM edition was only about $160. So I have my system set up now and the primary hard drive on my laptop now is a brand new 160 GB 5400 RPM Seagate Momentus. Far better then the 40 GB toshiba that was originally installed. Now I have the old hard drive in an external case, and I am trying to get my files back off of it, only problem is that I cannot access my files because the partition on that old drive is recognized as RAW format for some reason, it should be in NTFS like I left it! I am not sure what the problem is there.... Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

2. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

A workaround:
    If, through an interface, you can hook up the old HDD, as a secondary IDE drive in a desktop PC which recognizes it correctly, then you can copy your data to the laptop through a cross link cable.

3. XvEnOmX

XvEnOmX Thread Starter

Well, I have the old hard drive placed in an external usb enclosure, and the hard drive reads just fine, I just can't get any of my data off of it due to it being in so called RAW format, which is entirely wrong, because it was in NTFS for my other copy of Windows XP I had on it. What is this crosslink cable you speak of?

4. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

The cross link cable is similar to an ordinary ethernet cable, just the wires are in a different order. With it, you can connect two PC-s directly in a small network, without the need of an ethernet hub or switch.

As to the HDD, I honestly don't know. If I were you, I would try to attach the enclosure to another PC and see if it works. I would also see, if it works with another HDD. This way you can get closer to the actual source of the problem, which now might be either the HDD, or the laptop, or the enclosure.

5. XvEnOmX

XvEnOmX Thread Starter

Partition Magic says the partition on the drive is unformatted, there is another partition on the drive that contains Dell Utilities and I can browse that fine, the Dell Utilities partition on that drive is in FAT format! Odd... So it is not the enclosure or the drive.

6. XvEnOmX

XvEnOmX Thread Starter

Oh, you were talking about a crossover cable... I don't believe that would help much in this situation as I already have local access to the drive. I am trying different software at the moment, for some reason they are recognizing the format of the partition as RAW or unformatted... Not quite sure what is going on there, I know Acronis Disk Director has a recover deleted partition tool, but I would probably end up having to delete the partition to use that function, not sure if that is such a wise idea at the moment... haha. :confused:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice