1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restoring deleted files

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hmblmx, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hmblmx

hmblmx Thread Starter

Is there anyway to restore files that have been deleted from the recycle bin? Or to find a list of file names that have been deleted?

2. cshajkur

cshajkur

You can restore deleted files if you have the original disk by using the system file checker (SFC). You may also get a list of the deleted files by using this ultility. As it runs a check of your system files it will callout the files that are missing. You can then extract them from the original disk. You didn't mention whether or not you were talking about Window files and I'm not sure whether SFC is limited to Windows. Goto start, run, type in SFC and will bring up the file checker. Others will read this and add to my comments. I hope this helps you.

3. TechChick

TechChick

That only works if the deleted files are system files. It's not going to help if you deleted Word documents or other data files.

I've heard that Norton Utilities can sometimes recover deleted files, but if you don't have it installed now, I doubt you'll be able to install it and still recover deleted files since the new software could overwrite the places on the hard drive where the deleted files were stored.

4. padutch

padutch

5. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Try Drive Rescue . It is free and is a pretty good program. Be sure to follow the help instructions. Good luck.

KW1

6. hewee

hewee

hmblmx,

Welcome to TSG.

If you have Norton AV 2002 it has Norton Unearse on it.

7. hamster

hamster Guest

what does this mean??? That if you buy a used computer you can bring up Someone's eles's Old files or Pictures or Documents they once had on file???

8. TechChick

TechChick

It's a possibility.

9. hmblmx

hmblmx Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions I have never received so much feed-back from a message board. I tried the Drive rescue and it work. So thanks everyone.
    HMBLMX

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice