1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restoring from hidden recovery partition after changing MBR

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by 1KBM, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1KBM

1KBM Thread Starter

I've got a Alienware m17x laptop, which i restored using the Win7Pro CD supplied. Unfortunately, this seems to lack the drivers and features that came with the orginal install. After this, I learned about the recovery partition, and how I couldve restored by ctrl+F11, which no longer works because from what I've read I've changed the MBR.

Does anyone know any tricks to getting this partition bootable so I can restore from that?

Thanks,
    Ben

2. cybersloth

cybersloth

can you get on the internet with it, Ie. is the NIC driver installed?

If so windows 7 updates will install drivers...

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    To get this "Recover" function to work again you will need to the DVD from the OEM and rebuild the machine. This DVD would include the drivers for that machine.
    Yes the drivers may be downloaded, but many of the OEM built in features can not. Check with the OEM (Alienware).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!