1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restoring Gateway Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Boodad, Nov 14, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. Boodad

Boodad Thread Starter

I have a Gateway m320 laptop that I am trying to restore to factory settings on a clean hard drive.

I have a set of restoration disks that were made when the computer was purchased.

When I attempt the install the DVD drive will not read the disk to start the process, and I get the Operating System not found error. I know the DVD works as I have used other disks, i.e. Deban.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

2. Sponsor

3. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

Are you booting to the first disk of the restoration disks?

4. Boodad

Boodad Thread Starter

Yes I am

5. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

The Gateway M320 laptop was introduced in 2004 and long before the SP3 upgrade was released for Windows XP.
    Even if you're able to install Windows XP with those discs and then upgrade it to SP3 afterwards, it's still going to be extremely outdated.
    If you plan to use it on-line, you won't find a modern browser that works in it or allows you to access most websites.

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. Boodad

Boodad Thread Starter

I do understand what would be the outcome of installing Windows XP but I would still like the computer the way it was received from the factory.

7. flavallee

Depending on where you purchased that Gateway M320 laptop, it came with Windows XP Home Edition or Professional or Media Center Edition.
    https://www.restoredisks.com/search/?q=gateway+m320

Which Windows XP version did yours come with and show on its factory restoration discs?

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Sometimes DVDs and CDs go bad even when not used. Try to boot the first Recovery disk in another computer as a double check.

9. Boodad

Boodad Thread Starter

The factory restoration disk contained Windows XP Home Edition.

I will try another computer.

10. flavallee

This is what you would need if your original set of restoration discs doesn't work.
    https://www.restoredisks.com/gateway-laptop-m320-windows-xp-home-restore-disks

I can't confirm if SP1 or SP2 is part of your original set or part of the "Restore Disks" set.
    Because of the age of that laptop, I seriously doubt that either set contains SP3 - which was released in 2008.

---------------------------------------------------------------

11. Boodad

Boodad Thread Starter

An update on trying to get the restorations disks to work properly. When I place the #1 disk in another computer and proceed to the following: i386/System32/Restore.exe the computer begins to load the restoration material.

Could you advise how to get this to run on a computer with a clean hard drive?

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

The hard drive (clean, dirty or not even installed) shouldn't matter.

Are you sure that you have the optical drive as bootable and in the boot order list (preferably first)?

The drive is DVD, not just a CD drive, right?

On the other computer you are booting to the restore disk; not just reading it after booting to whatever system is installed on that computer, right?

13. plodr

plodr Liz

XP came on CDs ; Windows7 was the first OS to come on a DVD.

Can you try another CD in the Gateway?Is is able to read that? (The Debian you tried might be a DVD).

The drive might be able to read DVDs but not CDs. It happens where one of the lasers doesn't work.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Good points, Liz. One thing, though, is that he doesn't have an installation CD; rather he has "a set of restoration disks that were made when the computer was purchased." Those could be DVD or CD.

15. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

Also, were these CD's made on this machine, as they are machine related?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!