1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Restoring laptop after wipe?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bj nick, Nov 3, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

So...I've got a Square Trade warranty on my Dell Inspiron laptop, which has a faulty keyboard issue. They said I'd have to send them the laptop.....and, that they would wipe it clean. This is the first time I've ever heard of a hardware issue creating the necessity for a total reset. I said WHY??? They said for security reasons. To be clear: my issue is not with backing stuff up; everything I'm using on the laptop is backed up in multiple locations. It's that I'll have to reload all the software, recreate my whole involved setup, replace all the folders/files in their locations, etc, etc. It's just a major pain in the $#! My question is whether I can easily (and cheaply) create one of those backup "images" or whatever so that when I get my laptop back I can just hit "restore." Thanks!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Some versions of Windows have the ability to create disc images as part of the Backup app or control panel. Among several, there is a free program called Clonezilla that can create disc images. You will need an external storage device with enough free space at least equal to the amount of data stored on the drive you are imaging.

https://clonezilla.org/

Read the fine print of your warranty. It may say that the repair company has the right to replace the laptop with the same model and in similar condition rather than repair the one you send back.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I would ask if you can send the laptop without the hard drive inside.

4. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

That's an interesting idea......but after I left a disgruntled review on Consumer Affairs, Square Trade contacted me and said they'd try to work it out. So we'll see......

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Well done, I hope they do a good job.

6. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Square Trade said I could get the work done in town, but Best Buy sends it out, and my usual guru says a keyboard replacement is really time-consuming; too involved for him.......I checked out Clonezilla, but it's greek to me......what is the easiest way to clone my HD? Understand: I'm well backed-up; if the clone fails I'm not screwed....just means I'll have to do the laborious re-setting up....groan....

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Yes, Clonezilla has many configuration options that can be a bit overwhelming. I became familiar with it a few years ago when it was able to successfully clone the contents of a failing hard drive to a new drive where some simpler cloning apps failed during the process. Clonezilla can also be very very slow working with on a large hard drive.

Exactly what version of MS-Windows are you running?

8. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Windows 10 ("version 1903") I couldn't even get Clonezilla to download......baffling. Didn't see a download option.....I expected to see a download process, then I install it on my computer.....am I right?

9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    It is easier to not install Clonezilla on a computer that is running Windows. You should make a bootable CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with Clonezilla Live on it and boot the computer from the disc or USB drive. That way the hard drive being cloned is not being actively used by Windows and possibly having files on the hard drive changing as you clone it.

Here is a page with links to creating a bootable disc or USB drive.
    https://www.clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live.php

It's been a few years since I last used it and I suspect there are changes in how to use it.

10. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Okay, so I'm trying to follow the Clonezilla instructions carefully.......I partitioned the USB drive, and now I need to download Clonezilla. For "select CPU Architecture, my options are amd64, i686-pae, or i686.......this is my Windows 10 laptop....which should I select? I'm assuming the i686, because the notes below it say "works for most modern x86 CPUs.) Am I right? And for "repository," my options are auto, osdn, or sourceforge. Which should I pick?

11. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Here are the instructions below....can someone please explain #4 in PLAIN ENGLISH? Ugh.....lost in the woods.....for the record: I completed the first 3 steps; that's where I'm stuck.
    1. Download the Clonezilla Live zip file.
    2. create at least a 200 MB partition on your USB flash drive and format it with a FAT16/FAT32 or NTFS file system.
    3. Extract all the contents of the zip file to the FAT16/FAT32 or NTFS partition on your USB flash drive. Keep the directory architecture, for example, file "GPL" should be in the USB flash drive's top directory (e.g. G:\GPL).
    4. Browse to your USB flash drive and as an administrator, (On the USB flash key, create a shortcut to the makeboot.bat file. Then right-clic on the shortcut, Properties, Advanced and check "Run as administrator".), click the makeboot.bat in the dir utils\win32\ (for 32-bit Windows) or makeboot64.bat in the dir utils\win64\ (for 64-bit Windows). WARNING! Makeboot.bat must be run from your USB flash drive.
      If you are an experienced user, open a command prompt as Administrator, navigate to the root of the USB flash key and enter \utils\win32\makeboot or \utils\win64\makeboot, depending on the flavor of Windows you are running.
    5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

12. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    If you don't know what CPU is being used in your laptop, then you could try the i686 version first. Back then, I created a bootable CD of Clonezilla when I needed to use it and am not familiar with creating a USB version. It would be a learning process for me to figure out what to tell you about step #4.

At this point, it might be a better idea to start a new topic in the Other Software forum with a subject of Using USB Version of Mozilla.

13. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm just going to have my pc guru do an image....he's doing my Windows upgrade anyway so he says he can do that at the same time no problem. Thanks for trying to help!

cwwozniak likes this.
  14. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Glad to hear you are able to find a solution.

15. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Yeah, I was game to try, but I'm a babe in the woods on this area....better to just let the pro do it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice