Restoring my pc

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ciderman22

I have recently had a few minor problems with my pc so I decided to try to repair it with my Windows XP disc. What I actually ended up doing was to reinstall windows xp again and now my pc is back to the day it was made, well almost.

None of my other programs are installed but they are still on the "C" drive. Everything is still there.
Now my question is, How do I restore my PC to before I put my darn XP disc in my machine?

(I have already tried a system restore but it wont go back far enough)

Your going to have to reinstall all of the applications again.

The "reinstall" of windows overwrites alot of files and registry entries when this is done so alot of times the only thing you can do to get it all working is reinstall the applications.

It wont happen.

If you did a complete re-install of your WIndows OS then your registry and other other important files will have been lost.

You wont be able to get the programs working again without re-installing the programs.

If you had intended to keep the programs and do a full re-install to begin with you could have exported the registry and then done it, importing the registry again afterwards.

Ciderman22

Thank you for the replies guys.

I was wondering if there was any software that was able to do it?

blues_harp28

Hi..all your programs came from different suppliers..
As has been said..you will have to reinstall all missing programs..

Hi there I'v done the same thing as Ciderman22 reinstalled windows over the old version. My problem is however that I want to get access to all my files in my documents from my old profile.

All the files are still there I can't can't access them. Is there either a way of asuming my old username or anyway round the NTFS restrictions.

p.s.
because my old profile was an administrator so I can't log in as an administrator to get at them.

Thanks
James

If your the admin on the PC, go to the root folder and right click on it and go into properties.

Click the Security Tab, then click the advanced button at the bottom of the screen, now click the Owner tab at the top and select your username and then click change owner.

This should get you into the files.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online