1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restoring old photographs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by hrisula, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hrisula

hrisula Thread Starter

Hi everybody,
    I have an old photo to restore, as a matter of fact I was given the scanned photo as a file.
    The problem with the photo is twofold
    a) There is an obvious "moire" pattern
    b) There is a "milky" cloud covering part of the picture

Can anybody give me some clues as to how I can eliminate the moire and the milky cloud.

Thanks

PS I am using Photoshop

Attached Files:

• temp.jpg
      temp.jpg
      File size:
      107.3 KB
      Views:
  2. buck52

buck52 Banned

Got to think about it for a minute but...

something funny with the shadow patterns....maybe the only light is from the right and high

not an easy or quick one to fix

buck

3. Rockn

Rockn

Really dark. Adjusted the levels and brightness and contrast

Attached Files:

4. uly7

uly7

Hola
    The moire pattern is part of the paper that was common in those days. Even though is possible to fix it, it will take you a lot of time to do it. Scan the picture in a 45 degree angle, and see if it's better. The white marks or "milky marks" you may have to completely redo all that part. In another words, you may have to "draw" all those parts.
    Here is a sample of your picture (excuse me, but I just cannot resist) Obviously it is still in need of a lot of work.
    Good luck
    Uly7

Attached Files:

• temp.jpg
      temp.jpg
      File size:
      60.7 KB
      Views:
  5. hrisula

hrisula Thread Starter

Hola/Salut,
    Very nice job!!!!
    Thanks a bunch!!!
    Since I do not have the original picture, do you advise me to use my printer and print the photo and then scan it at 45 degree angle?
    I will follow your advise and redraw

6. hrisula

hrisula Thread Starter

If I don't scan, even if it is a long job, how can I get rid of the moire, without losing image sharpness.
    Can you please give me some ideas?

7. crossgrain

crossgrain

Your best bet for removing the moire is to use the blur tool. Set it to ~5 pix for the detail areas, and slightly larger ~15 pix for the more open areas. give it a sharpen edges filter when done, and retouch some of the fuzzier ones with a small smudge tool. To remove some of the "milky" areas, select color range, adjust brightness, then blur/feather the edges. I also did an image>adjustment>hue/saturation>colorize to even things up a bit. Looks to be quite tedious, but I think it can be done.

:)

Attached Files:

8. hrisula

hrisula Thread Starter

What an improvement!!

I will follow your advise and fix the photo. These pictures are important to people, I think I ought to give it my best shot.

Thanks a million!!!

9. crossgrain

crossgrain

NP.

One quick tip about the blur tool I forgot to mention: do NOT drag it over the "edges" between image elements (i.e. the edge between the guy's shoulder and the backdrop). Run the tool UP TO the edge on both sides, but you'll want to maintain the 'sharp-ish' line that already exists (in other words, don't just willy-nilly blur the whole image) Little blurred edges/mistakes can be cleaned up with a VERY small smudge tool using short, controlled strokes.

Good luck!

:)

10. hewee

hewee

Then when your all done save your work in a good format so you don't down grade it hrisula. Keep it in psd format till your done working on it too.

11. uly7

uly7

Hola
    Crossgrain nice job. Hrisula, I hope that you get enought info how to do a good job with your picture. Most of the time, it's just that, time. Time and patiece, ( maybe coffee, a lot of coffee)
    Good luck.
    Uly7
    One thing. If you have this picture only in a digital format, don't print it, go from the one on the disk.

12. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

uly7,
    Nice job you did there. The first thing I thought after seeing that pic was that the partial person in the far right has to go. As I read down the thread, you did just that. Your clean-up was very nice.
    I don't know how I missed this thread, just my kinda thing.

hrisula,
    Don't try to print and re-scan, you will just degrade the image further. Continue with the image as the others have suggested. It has the potential to be very nice.

13. hrisula

hrisula Thread Starter

Thanks to all, I appreciate the tips and the help.

With all that learning I restored another picture, which was somewhat easier to restore (it did not have the milky cloud)
    Can you take a look and "critique" it for me please. Does it look OK? Can it be improved?
    Personally I am not very happy with the sepia color, it does not give the "aetherial" sort of look. What do you think?

Thanks again
    Hrisula

Attached Files:

14. uly7

uly7

Hola
    Thanks Longhair.
    Good job Hrisula. I like it. If you clean up old pictures and take away the sepia color, they don't look as good or appealing ( to me) as with their sepia color. To get "YOUR" perfect sepia color, get a sample of the color with the eyedropper, then go the swatches palette and "drop "your sample" the eyedroper change into a bucket, name your color and you are ready to use your very own sepia color, over an a over again.
    I hope this help.
    Uly7

15. gsmitheman

gsmitheman

Another shot at the original image

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!