1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restoring or retrieving lost or missing data

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JoyN, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoyN

JoyN Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I was hoping someone can assist me with my problem. I am in A COMPLETE MESS! I’ve ran out of tears so I thought I’d try all you computer gurus out there. If anyone can help me with my problem I would very much appreciate it.

My situation: I’ve lost all my data. Everything in My documents are gone. EVERYTHING…documents, pictures, folders, files, etc. Who knows what else is missing.

What I was doing last before this happened: I was setting up passwords for different users on my computer. Originally there was no need to type in a user name and password. I was attempting to set up different users. Or at least activate passwords for what was already there…which were Administrator, Guest and User.

What happened: For some reason, Windows 2000 somehow reformatted itself with basic settings and carried this for all users. Now I can’t get my original settings back. I am clueless to how I would even attempt to do this or which account had the original settings since I did not have a username logon to begin with. I have logged on to all the accounts I have but can’t find my original settings. All 3 accounts are empty and have no data! Does anyone even know what could’ve happened? Did I completely lose everything? Or is it just hidden somewhere in my computer? And how do I retrieve it back?

I currently have 16.3 GB of free space from a capacity of 18.6 GB. (I sure hope that is not bad news).
    I would really appreciate it if anyone can shed some light into this darkness. My whole life was on this computer …please someone say it’s not too late for me and I can still retrieve/restore all my data. I would greatly appreciate a response if you have come across this situation before and it would be greatly appreciated if you can kindly be patient enough to explain the solution in layman’s terms.

Thanks much for your time.

System Info
    Microsoft Windows 2000
    Service Pack 4

Computer Info
    x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6
    AT/AT Compatible
    130,544 KB RAM

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

OnTrack Easy Recovery Professional is the software I use to recover data.
    1-800-872-2599
    www.ontrack.com
    For a fee, they will help you try to recover your files.

Easy recovery has a feature that can attempt to recover files after a format. All is NOT lost!

Don't use your computer until you have attempted to recover the lost files!!!!! Go to the library, if necessary. When yo use your computer, you may be over-writing the locations on your hard drive where the files you can't find, are stored. That makes recovery more expensive & more difficult.

RF123

3. JoyN

JoyN Thread Starter

Hi RF123,

Ohhh great, I have been starting over with the work I lost...rewriting articles, essays, etc.

I just don't understand why one second everything was there and all of a sudden everything was gone. And to think I was setting up different user profiles to prevent others from deleting and accessing my files. The irony that I myself was the one who lost ALL MY DATA!

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully I will receive a miracle regarding this matter.

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

YOur probably may have been caused by:
    virus, spyware, or other malware;
    hardware failure;
    bad luck;
    computer gremlins.

Don't beat yourself up. If the world was perfect, those of us who repair things wouldn't have jobs.

Best of success, Joy.

RF123

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485829

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice