1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restoring Outlook Express 7 mail accounts

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jldjs, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jldjs

jldjs Thread Starter

I would like to restore my mail accounts from saved data on my old HDD. I did restore my message folders but don't know how (or if) I can restore the 4 mail accounts I had setup in OE7. Any suggestions?

2. vicks

vicks

I think that when you have OE open, select file, export addresses. I made a folder in my documents that I exported it to then put in on a thumb drive and moved it to a new puter.
    vicks

3. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

When you say OE7, do you mean Windows Mail or did you misspeak and mean OE6?

4. vicks

vicks

I mean OE 7. (Part of IE7).
    I have not installed Windows live mail yet, Oh, I do run XP pro. Are you using xp or vista?
    Vicks

5. jldjs

jldjs Thread Starter

OE 7 under XP Pro. I cannot export because my HDD crashed and I am working on a new PC but managed to copy all of the data from the old HDD onto the new computer in a special folder, Old HD. I was hoping the account info was accessible in the folder as were the message folders. But, I don't know how to find them and copy them.

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

IE7 does not include Outlook Express, or any other email program. The last version of OE is version 6 and installing IE7 doesn't change that.
    Microsoft has replaced OE with Windows Mail, or Windows Live mail.

The account info for OE is stored in the registry at this key:
    Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts
    and if it was not previously exported to an *.iaf file can't be imported.
    You could mount the old registry then find the above key; The server names are in plain text, but the passwords are encrypted, and can't be copied over.

Seems to me it would be much simpler to just re-create the accounts. If you don't recall the server names, the website of the mail provider should have that info readily available.

HTH

Jerry

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/711043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice