1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restoring Outlook Messages from My Backup 07-06-27 1241AM

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by cpkoch, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpkoch

cpkoch Thread Starter

I installed Microsoft XP Professional when I was unable to access Windows XP Media Versions (or whatever it's called) that was installed when I bought my Gateway Desktop from a third party vendor. I had used the OS disk that came with the computer and somehow managed to compress the HDLTR. When trying to boot I encountered a need to reboot since the HDLTR was compressed. Problem is, I continued trying to do the Cntl-Alt-Del reboot sequence and went into a never ending "do-loop". Hence my decision to install a the version of XP professional that I had bought with my previous computer.

When I finally accessed Windows I discovered that a file had been created called "My Backup 07-06-27 1241AM". After a not too easy bit of detective work I managed to get my drivers (for the Gateway Desktop) back up and running. I also managed to take ownership of many of the files that were protected apparently, by a security measure that was on my earlier Windows (XP Media) version. I won't get into how I managed to access those files as it is probably not relevant to the current issue. That issue (the reason I am seeking your help) is my failure to be able to locate and access the Outlook files that were present in my Outlook files before the "screw-up" I experienced.

I assume that they are still somewhere on the hard drive, but my searches have failed to yield anything. Microsoft's Knowledge Base has proven useless inasmuch as I can find nothing that talks about restoral of the "My Backup" files.

I hope I have given you enough input so that you can quickly tell me how to get my sanity back and find my valuable Outlook messages and folders which I have grown to depend on for filing virtually all of my records.

Thanks

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I hope you are not suggesting that the valuable files only exist on the PC hard drive and not regularly backed up to a CD or external drive?

The Outlook data is all stored in a single large .pst file, by default it is Outlook.pst but depending on other issues may be renamed, but it will still be a .pst.

At the end of the day, data which you do not have at least 2 copies of is data that you do not care about losing. HDD are one of the most failure prone components in a PC.

I backup to enternal devices daily. Email is backed up as it arrives to a free Gmail account as another insurance measure.

3. juliecat498

juliecat498

May I piggy back a question on this thread. I am in the process of changing to Outlook for my email retrieval and address book.

Up til now I was on comcast.net and kept my messages stored in files on the comcast servers rather than downloading to my computer. This was my equivalent of backup and not taking up space on my computer. By default, I was developing my contact list on the comcast site as well.

One of my favorite expressions is that all behavior is motivated, so I will share my motivation. On Friday, I got an iPhone. It is as good as the hype. But now I am highly motivated to switch to Outlook because my emails flow effortlessly into the iPhone through Outlook and the Outlook Address Book with all contacts automatically syncing up everytime I plug the iPhone into the docking station attached to my PC.

Which brings me to my question..... Backing up my outlook folders and personal address book.
    According to Microsoft the default location for these are
    C:\Documents and Settings\<user'sname>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    The personal folders are saved in Outlook.pst
    The personal address book is saved in Outlook.pab
    All of my valuable data is stored under the \My Documents\ folder
    When I back up now I just copy \My Documents\ and it takes care of everything under it.
    I would like the Outlook files to be part of that backup request.
    My question is can I move the outlook data to be stored under \My Documents\ folder and is there something I need to change in the software to repoint the files to be saved in a differenct place than Microsoft chooses as the default. Hope my explanation is understandable.....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590134

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice