1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restoring primary partition on hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 8biosdrive, Nov 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive Thread Starter

I recently did a repair of Windows XP which failed, resulting in a corrupt hard drive which was no longer recognized as NTFS, but had a healthy status in disk management. I am recovering files from this drive, but would then like to restore the primary partition in order to avoid the tedious job of resorting the recovered files into the original folder hierarchy, assuming all the original files on the corrupt drive are intact. What would be the best tools to use for this, checkdisk, Test Disk, startup repair, bootrec.exe, or others?

2. 8biosdrive

I spoke with an IT savvy friend who advised me to clean and reformat the corrupted drive once the files were recovered, and then to reinstall XP. I have successfully recovered all the data using EaseUS data recovery for Windows and have completed the above steps. I am in the process of reinstalling drivers and programs and should be back in business pretty soon. What I hadn't realized was that the original folder structure would be recovered with the files. That was a relief.

3. tecknurd

tecknurd

I understand that most people know Windows. I have used a Linux utility gpart to recover lost partitions from a program writing data to the drive.

Code:
    http://www.brzitwa.de/mb/gpart/

I hope that you did a full format and not a quick format since you have some kind of hard drive or other hardware issue.

You should plan on upgrading to Windows 10.

4. 8biosdrive

Thanks for the link tecknurd. I'll keep that in mind if I run into this sort of trouble again, which I hope won't be for a long time! The suggestion in response to my original post about recovering data from a corrupted hard drive, to try a live Linux USB to access the files directly seems worth a try too. But I had already purchased the recovery software when I learned about this. Yes, I did a full format before reinstalling XP. And yes, despite loving this 14 year old computer, I think it's time for a new Windows 10 machine. But now it will take me awhile to get to know my way around a new OS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice