1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restoring to windows.old without disk?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by JusticePourTous, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JusticePourTous

JusticePourTous Thread Starter

I attempted a clean install of windows that didn't achieve anything I wanted it to, and generally I regret it, so I wanted to switch back to my windows.old folder on my hard drive. Following the official instructions on the microsoft website, I hit a problem. Whenever I boot from disk, windows fails to load. It starts the windows 7 animation, but stops pretty much immediately, and is unresponsive until I force a power off and reboot.

The laptop works okay normally, it boots fine and nothing is bricked, but it has a few issues that I've tried and failed to solve, like the function keys only working in select few programs, and I'm missing a lot of my old stuff, and so want to revert. Is there a way to do this easily without booting from disk? And if not, is there a way to fix my boot from disk problem?

My laptop is a Windows 7 Acer 5560. I tried to do the alt-f10 partition reset, but the hotkey does nothing. Tried lots of alternatives to no avail. I think I might have messed with the partition or the bios or something when I did the clean install? I dunno. One website gave me instructions with attempting to boot from the partition without alt-f10, but i couldn't boot from the cd i burned, so it didn't work. All in all I'm a bit frustrated. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    JPT

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You don't "switch back" to that folder; you retrieve data from it.

Which disk? The hard drive with the newly installed Windows or the installation DVD? Or some other disk?

3. JusticePourTous

Sorry, that was really unclear. Trying to boot from the installation DVD.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Perhaps the installation DVD has become corrupted/damaged. Or maybe the DVD drive has become defective.

Try booting the DVD on another computer (obviously stop short of actually initiating an install).

5. Lance1

Lance1

6. valis

valis Moderator

not seeing a link there, Lance1......;)

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  8. valis

valis Moderator

pretty sure you got it, Terry. :)

9. Lance1

Lance1

Fixed! Sorry.. You got it right Terry.

10. JusticePourTous

Hey, yeah that's exactly the link I was using, but as you'll see, it requires the Windows 7 disk, which isn't working in my computer.

I tried it in a different laptop and it loaded fine, so the issue is with mine. I get as far as the Windows 7 logo starting to appear before it freezes and hangs indefinitely.

Any ideas?

Edit: Also, I can play DVDs fine while the computer is booted up normally. so I don't think that's the issue.

11. JusticePourTous

Bump. Anyone have any ideas?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice