Restrict DHCP to a specific DHCP server

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tony414

Hello,
I have two networks in my business. One is 10.81.0.0 255.255.0.0 the other is 10.81.102.0 255.255.0.0. Technically I know it's really not two networks. But there is two DHCP servers running. Is it possible for me to have the 10.81.0.0 only give out IP's to that network? Or maybe a better way for me to setup DHCP? Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Tony

Remove the 2nd DHCP server. You can't specify one. The client sends a broadcast, and the first DHCP server to respond is where it will get it's address from.

Why does it matter which server gives out an address?

Tony414

Hey! Thanks for the response. The other server is in another building through a wireless. If one of the clients gets it's address from there then the gateway is all messed up. There must be someway I can segregate the two?

It would have to be either on a separate subnet, and the router set to not relay DHCP requests, or you need a firewall between the two locations and set it to not pass DHCP requests.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online