1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restrict DHCP to a specific DHCP server

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Tony414, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tony414

Tony414 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have two networks in my business. One is 10.81.0.0 255.255.0.0 the other is 10.81.102.0 255.255.0.0. Technically I know it's really not two networks. But there is two DHCP servers running. Is it possible for me to have the 10.81.0.0 only give out IP's to that network? Or maybe a better way for me to setup DHCP? Any help would be great!

Thanks,
    Tony

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Remove the 2nd DHCP server. You can't specify one. The client sends a broadcast, and the first DHCP server to respond is where it will get it's address from.

Why does it matter which server gives out an address?

3. Tony414

Tony414 Thread Starter

Hey! Thanks for the response. The other server is in another building through a wireless. If one of the clients gets it's address from there then the gateway is all messed up. There must be someway I can segregate the two?

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

It would have to be either on a separate subnet, and the router set to not relay DHCP requests, or you need a firewall between the two locations and set it to not pass DHCP requests.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice