Restrict specific users internet axx in XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

yahooGuy

I've been googling my butt off for about 3 days now, and the all I keep finding is essentially, "use the group policy editor". Well, I'll be darned if I can find any info on how exactly to make it do what I want, which is:

Prevent specific users from having ANY internet access at all. Not simply restricting IE, but in essence disabling the network connection so that those particular users get the shaft. Certain users still require internet axx.

This is a single machine, XP Pro, connected directly to a high-speed line (adsl, with hardware firewall), used by a LOT of people, in a rather important environment (local fire station). Two users will be in control of everything (other than myself), as power users. I will be the only administrator. So I get that using the group policy editor is the way to go... but the changes it makes seem to be global, and not user/group specific...

How does one go about disabling the network connections / internet / etc, for those users / that group?

How does one then assign that group policy object to just that user/group?

So for once, I am asking to be treated like a n00bish little kid, because I need to be able to explain this to the 2 power users so they can understand what I have done.... I want to pass on the know-how so I don't have to keep doing this.... lol.

I've seen this question asked many times, but there doesn't seem to be a clear cut solution. I just wished the Group Policy Editor had the option to disable internet access on a per-user level... But apparently not. The only thing I could think of is to use a "firewall". But after some Googling, I came up with THIS. I don't know if the suggestions given will do you justice, but worth a read nevertheless.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online