1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restrict where users can save data

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rdombroske, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rdombroske

rdombroske Thread Starter

Does anyone know how I can restrict users to saving data ONLY in the "My documents" folder of WinXP? I am supporting users who seem to LOVE to WORK FROM and then SAVE TO...floppies :eek:

Oh, it gets better...once they have taken their half completed project home with them, the School Principal invariable calls me in a panic to "find it" so someone else can finish!

Goal: allow ONLY save to a specific location. If they want to make a backup on floppy or CD, I don't care - I just need to make sure that I can access and back up all their file from one location (on local PC, not server.)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. rdombroske

Sorry, folks - first time user!

We are currently networked on a Win2k Server - is there a way to accomplish this through "Group Policies" rather than on each indiv. PC?

3. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

Don't issue or allow floppy disks be to be used.
    This might sound over the top but bear in mind you risk infection from outside disks brought in.
    Make a folder for every pupil and TELL them to save it their own folder.
    I'm not into networking so without actually physically removing the floppy drives it will have to be down to your admin guys.

4. rdombroske

Thanks, "Wolfey" !

Please bear in mind here, I am laughing WITH YOU (hopefully), and not AT you :)

If you've ever dealt with kids (or been one!), you know as soon as you tell them NOT to do something, that is the FIRST thing they will do!

Unfortunately, the KIDS in the school aren't the problem - the STAFF is!!! (and there are times when they ACT like kids!

Actually, I AM the administrator, so if I chooose, I CAN remove floppy drives, but choose not to - I would have TOO MUCH crying about how adult users cannot take work home with them.

I like your solution, and boy do I wish I could use it - it was my first thought, but it just would not work in this environment, unfortunately :(

5. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

In that case you need to tell the Head master (Principal) to kick some derrierres big time.
    Lay it on the line that if the system gets infected and the whole thing goes down the pipe don't come crying to me.
    These are supposed adults and should behave accordingly.
    I'd get a whole mess of floppy locks and say now your gonna listen.
    Wolfey

6. rdombroske

I'm with you on that idea! Unfortunately, it's a little like telling our "good friends" in the Middle East not to "come crying to us" when someone, oh let's say Saddam Hussein, for instance, invades a neighboring country.

7. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

Where's Michelle Pfeiffer (Dangerous Minds) when you need her lol.
    Joking apart sorry I can't be of more help mate.
    Good luck.
    Wolfey

8. rdombroske

That's OK - i knew this would not be an easy answer!

Your chat alone was "worth the price of admission" - and a good pint of bitter, if only I could find that here stateside!

Cheers!

9. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

The latter part of your last paragraph is very true mate. :D
    Wolfey waits for the growls from his colonial ex-mates.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/383756

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice