1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

restricting access on computers

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by will182, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. will182

will182 Banned Thread Starter

at my school there is somthing like 2 or 300 computers on a server and they are nto big towers like anormal computer but a little box that looks like a modem and a flat screen monitor and the access on these computers are very well extreamly restricted like i this is a list of what is on the

desktop
    recycle bin

bottom left of the screen
    nothing but a clock well on some computers there isnt even a clock

start menu
    microsoft office
    internet explorer
    my documents

ok thats about it whats on these computers even downloading is restricted and when you deleate stuff it dont go to the recycle bin and even right click is restricted but some teatchers accounts have full access to the computers eg control panel the lot now i was wondering is there any software out there that i could download to do exatly what i have put, restrict prity much everything but only on certain users.

2. shadowcat

shadowcat

What version of Windows are you using?

3. will182

windows xp pro

4. shadowcat

shadowcat

Make sure you are using an Administrator account before doing this. Password the Administrator account.

In Control Panel -- User Accounts, you can set up users with limited access for each account. A guest account is even more limited than a limited account. I would try this route first before trying the next one.

I personally have not done this, but I did find this that sounds very much like what you want to do. I requires editing the registry. Before doing so, I would read it carefully, backup important files on the computer, set a System Restore Point and write down your changes (before and after). That way, you have a record of what you did, just in case you need to go back and fix it if the System Restore doesn't work.

To set a System Restore Point, go to:

Start -- Accessories -- System Tools -- System Restore -- click on "Create Restore Point"

5. will182

this thing that you said sounds very mutch like i wanted to do isnt this is just for editing pdf files i want to have it so you cant see the control panel there is no right click, and you cant acces any toold of any sort exept what i menshiond well i want everythign to be invisible exept for what i said i want to keep like internet explorer and microsoft office

6. will182

can windows server 2003 work on a avarage desktop computer

7. will182

or do you need like 300 computers

8. shadowcat

shadowcat

Sorry to take so long to get back ... I'm on the road now ...

Have you looked into http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm?

Regarding Windows Server 2003: it is for a computer that is used as a server. Windows Server 2003 operating system is specialized for computers that is to be used as a server. It usually comes with the server you purchase from a vendor, such as Dell. You can purchase a 5-client pack OEM, but there is a difference between the full package (~$600) and the license. The license assumes you already have Windows Server 2003 but need to add more clients/users.

So, no, you do not need 300 computers to have a server -- you can only have the server and a client.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!