1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restricting access to IE settings...

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by versatile, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. versatile

versatile Thread Starter

I was wondering if anyone knows of a possible registry setting to disallow downloading via the web using IE? Also, are there any other restrictions you can do using the registry for IE? We are running Windows 95c w/ IE5.5 SP2. We recently had a problem with an employee downloading trojan software and would like to stop downloading. If there is not possible registry entry, could someone reccomend a small freeware program to use to restrict access to IE menus/options. Thanks!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

In addition to that, you can choose to leave Internet Options in place and instead, remove any or all of the tabs on that page. The Download capability is set from Internet Options>security>custom. By first setting the Download capability and then removing the security tab you can achieve the same goal.
    To do that go to the registry and find this key. If it doesn't exist, create it.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel

Create a new DWORD and name it
    SecurityTab
    Modify it to a value of
    0 to Show the security tab (disable the restriction)
    Or
    1 to Remove the security tab (enable the restriction)

I am attaching the registry file you would use to change this for the current user. Download and change the name to
    Security.reg
    Double click to merge into the registry.
    This takes effect immediately. To get the security tab back, go to the location I pointed out and modify the Security tab value to 0 or delete it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you have multiple Identities setup, you would make the registry change here: (That would be a registry file)
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel

This change would be in effect for any new users you would add.

Attached Files:

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I reread your post. Here's a page with all kinds of information you might like. Titled: Securing Internet Explorer in the Public Library
    http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/ie/

The other restriction I gave you won't prevent saving Pictures. This new link is very helpful. Although, I think you are on the right track. Maybe a security program would be best.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice