1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

restrictions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zipster1, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zipster1

zipster1 Thread Starter

when i try to access internet options thru "tools" i get a message like below

"this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. please contact you system administrator"

As it's my home pc and i have administrator rights i am at a loss as to where the problem is. can anyone shed any light on this? My o/s is XP home if that is of any use.

thx in advance

2. Claymore

Claymore

Hello,

Try this:

Go to Start => Run and type in "regedit" {without the quotes}

Navigate to this key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions
    Look in the right-hand pane for 'NoBrowserOptions'
    If it's there with a Value of 1, right-click on it and Modify the Value to a decimal 0
    or
    Right-click on NoBrowserOptions and Delete it.

3. zipster1

zipster1 Thread Starter

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\ is a s far as the tree goes. nxt drop-down system certificates no internet exlporer option there.

4. Claymore

Claymore

5. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

zipster1, You could also go to the link below and click on "Win XP Fixes" (left side of page), click on "Fix Internet Options Restriction" (left column) and download the "xp_fix_internetoptions.vbs" file fix. Save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file. The VB Script file will check for the appropriate value and if not found will create it. If the value was found, it will be toggled to its opposite state and you will be informed that you need to restart.

http://www.dougknox.com/index.html

It should correct your problem.

Tufenuf

6. zipster1

zipster1 Thread Starter

cheers guys. @ work just now will have a look at both and get back to you re:results.

ah well back to the grind!! :D:D

7. zipster1

zipster1 Thread Starter

this software will only tell you the issues not fix them unless you buy the full version m8.

8. zipster1

zipster1 Thread Starter

dlld the file but when double click all i get is a notepad window opening up telling me stuff i don't know the first thing about and when i re-boot system nothing has changed m8!

sorry for being a P.I.T.A but can you shed any light on this ?:D

zipster

this is what it says
    "
    'Fix Internet Options Restrictions
    '© Doug Knox - rev 05/21/2003
    Option Explicit
    'Declare variables
    Dim WSHShell, n, MyBox, p, p1, p2, itemtype
    itemtype = "REG_DWORD"
    Set WSHShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    p = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions\NoBrowserOptions"
    p1 = "HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions\NoBrowserOptions"
    p2 = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions\NoBrowserOptions"
    'Create/modify the registry key value for NoBrowserOptions with value 0
    WSHShell.RegWrite p, 0, itemtype
    WSHShell.RegWrite p1, 0, itemtype
    WSHShell.RegWrite p2, 0, itemtype
    p = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoFolderOptions"
    p1 = "HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoFolderOptions"
    p2 = "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoFolderOptions"
    'Create/modify the registry key value for NoFolderOptions with value 0
    WSHShell.RegWrite p, 0, itemtype
    WSHShell.RegWrite p1, 0, itemtype
    WSHShell.RegWrite p2, 0, itemtype
    MsgBox "Done. You may need to log off/log on or reboot for the change to take effect.",4096,"Finished!"

just don't kno what i'm supposed to do with it!

9. Claymore

Claymore

Hello again,

First, sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase - that utility used to be free.
    It seems you have a problem also with importing (merging) .reg files. All this may have been caused by a virus. So ...

Go to this site:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Click to download the 'REG File Association Fix'
    Unzip it.
    Of course - it's another .reg file, so do this:
    Go to Start => Run and type in cmd
    Type in regedit.exe
    This opens the Registry editor.
    Go to File => Import and select the .reg file you downloaded from Doug Knox's site.
    You could also Import Tufenuf's .reg file the same way.

Restart the computer.
    Double-clicking on a .reg file should now work, and if Tufenuf's fix worked, Internet Options should also be available.

10. MS-DOS

MS-DOS

do what everyone said it should work :)

11. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

zipster1, If you have "Spybot Search and Destroy" installed open it, click "Mode" (at the top), choose "Advanced mode". Now on the left side click "Tools", click "IE Tweaks", then uncheck "Lock IE Control Panel against opening from within IE {current user}", then close Spybot Search and Destroy.

I'm surprized that the fixes didn't correct the problem.

Tufenuf

12. zipster1

zipster1 Thread Starter

your reg file imported ok claymore m8 but Tufenuf's file was not recognised as a reg file. it's a vb script file?:confused: so regedit would not accept it and thru up an error msg.

13. zipster1

zipster1 Thread Starter

don't have spybot s&d m8 but if you think it wil help me out i can always dll it?

14. Claymore

Claymore

Sorry, I should have read more carefully. If Tuffenuf's .vbs script opens in Notepad when you double-click on it, you may need the VBS File Association Fix from the same place (scroll down on the left):
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753208

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice