Retarded GeForce 4 4200Ti

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

warniahs

I have bought a GeForce 4 Ti 4200, but it thinks it has 8x, but after I installed the card, the system ran slowly and froze often, as in every 5 min or so. I would apperciate any help. Thx

Soltek FRN-L
AMD XP 2100
40 Gig Seagate HDD
Optowrite CD-RW
GeForce 4 4200 Ti -- without 8X (At the moment a Matrox Mystique 4mb)

-- A confused little child

If I were you, I would just keep the Matrox card in there. :D You said "Without 8x". Have you tried running it with 8x enabled? Your motherboard is an nForce2, so it supports it. Also, is that Matrox an AGP card?

Did you uninstall your old video drivers before you put the new card in? Also, did you install drivers for the new card? If you put the GF4 in without uninstalling old drivers, Windows will still think it's the Matrox, but since it's different, it will run very poorly. In order to get your card working at optimal speed, it needs the proper drivers.

warniahs

I really do not want to keep the PCI matrox in there, because I annot play civ 3 or unreal or anything, but i can play solitare. I did uninstall the matrox drivers, installed the geforce drivers, then unistalled the geforce drivers, and installed the matrox drivers. It locks at post when 8x is on.:confused:

Would it be possible to try the GeForce in another system? If you could then that would narrow down what was wrong.

warniahs

Does this in all computers

(Pounds head on brick wall)

I bought it a while ago, so no warrenty or anything, and I thought it was the PS, because at first it wasent even ouputing. So I upgraded the PS just Sunday, and now it freezes, and thinks its 8x with 128 megs but its just a normal 64...

(Guilltine falls)

I suspect that if your card is as old as you say it's only a X4.
Go into your BIOS and under Advanced Chipset Features you will find the entry "AGP 8X Support" - change this to disabled, then save and reboot.

Hope this helps.

If your videocard is a 4MB PCI card, I think it's time to stop worrying about the videocard and worry about replacing the whole system...

sorry, i forgot my point: If you have an AGP slot, then why didn't the computer come with an AGP card? By the time 4MB cards were out, AGP was becoming the standard. Perhaps your motherboard doesn't support those speeds. Perhaps it's screwy--especially if it's an Asus board.

Egad, man. I didn't look at your system specs. Why did you start out with an old videocard if you have an Athlon like that and stuff? Perhaps your BIOS does need flashing.

Some Basic Suggestions

1. be sure to check all your instructions regarding jumper settings on the card

2. delete the old video card drivers from your system before installing the new card

3. make sure that the system is seeing the new card and the new drivers by checking in control panel for monitor settings

4. check to see if the card is 'seated correctly' on the mobo

5. Some mother boards cannot utilize certain slots in certain sitations check the manual and if necesarry
switch slots

Good Luck

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online