1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

retrieval of lost favorites in Windows Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bohdandva, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bohdandva

bohdandva Thread Starter

HELP----My son reformatted his hard drive of about 10GB. He has windows xp home edition. He thought his favorites would be saved. Does anyone know of a freeware program he can use to retrieve his favorites. Thanks for any assistance.

2. Goku

Goku

Well, did he format the drive on which Windows and other softwares were installed? If yes, then there is no tool to help you out. He probably messed his computer by doing this blindly. I have heard about a software but i don't think it really works. You may want to check it out.

O&O DiskRecovery 4

Try it and see if it works for you or not. Atleast, they state so in the features section that it can "retrieve" or "reconstruct" files from even a formatted hard drive. This is the time to test it. Go ahead and see if it really works. Otherwise, I don't think it is possible to retrieve the lost favourites again. Tell me how it goes. Good Luck.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Probably gone because overwritten by the installation, though formatting would not necessarily have harmed the files in and of itself. But some free tools to try:

PCI File Recovery
    Tokiwa Data Recovery

It would be best not to use the drive that the data is on at all so that it doesn't get overwritten. If at all possible, put it in another machine for the recovery scan.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!