1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Retrieve a file

Discussion in 'Networking' started by 123cookie1, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 123cookie1

123cookie1 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I need your help. My question is: " Can I link two towers (a running computer Vista (1) with an other tower XP(2) ?off or on?) through a USB cord in order to retrieve a file from the other tower (2)?". Both are dell products. If the two are running, is there a danger of dammaging the newer one? If off can I just go to the memory where the file is kept, or if on can I do the same thing previously written. Do I need something in particular to do this transfer safely? Please use the layman talk because I am not really knowledgeable in this computer stuff.
    I hope you can help me,
    123cookie1

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi 123cookie1, and welcome to TSG.

There are special USB cords made that have USB "A" plugs on each end and include electronic circuits wired between the plugs. They are designed for safely connecting two computers via their USB ports and may include software for transferring files.

There are also USB cords made that have USB "A" plugs on each end but just have wires from one plug to the other. These may damage one or both computers.

If both computers have Ethernet ports, they may be better choice than any kind of USB base connection. If you just need to transfer one file, a USB flash drive may the quickest and easiest solution.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Connecting the machines together is probably the hardest way to transfer files. Much easier to burn the file to CD, email it to yourself, put it on a USB thumb drive, or send it over the network.

How large is the file?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice