Solved Retrieve data--external USB HD won't boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jethsy

I gave up on BSOD and took hard drive out, installed in enclosure and USB connected to new computer. Computer doesn't recognize hard drive. What can I do to retrieve the data on my old hard drive?
Thanks!

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Was there not a spare SATA and power connector to hook it up to the new PC?

jethsy

I'm sorry. I don't know what you mean. I purchased an enclosure and just inserted the HDD in it, powered it on and connected to USB port. My computer doesn't recognize it.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What I meant was, is there a spare SATA port in the (I'm assuming) new desktop computer? You can connect it as a second internal drive.

jethsy

Do you mean install the hdd in the new computer case? Might be byond my skill level. I've taken them out, but not installed one.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yes. It does not even have to be mounted, as long as the cable have sufficient length.

Fireflycph

Morten
I think Mark alluded to the fact that any 3.5" drives need a separate power connector into the enclosure. There simply isn't enough power coming from USB only to power it up.

It's a simple procedure to install it in a desktop as a second drive. If you can remove a drive you can certainly install one. You'll need the SATA cable and an extra power connector. (Most power supplies have spares)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online