1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Retrieve data from extinct application?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by OBE17, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

Novice here: Licensed Hollander Powerlink software for car parts business. Closed business after 5 years. Can't open application anymore. Tech support won't help me. They told me that I need an SQL Expert to retrieve my data. They say it's still on my computer.

2. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

There are files I can see using Windows Explore. There are .rpt and .BAK files from daily backups. I downloaded a free version of Crystal Reports and tried to open the .rpt files. It tells me there is no data in them.

3. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

So why won't the application open any more? Is it something you had to pay a fee for to keep it working?

4. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

You license software to aid in the operation of your business venture. You never (that I know of) own the software but merely "rent" it. All of the data you collect, however, is your property.
    When you close the business you stop paying the $600, or so, per month rent and the software will no longer open. The application is extinct. The data is still on your hard drive. You call the software author and they offer to sell you a single-user, 12-month license for $175 per month. When you protest, they say, "You could get yourself an SQL Expert to open the files because they are still there."

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Any application that costs $600 a month is far more complicated than simple data files. "SQL" is a generic term for a database querying syntax. You won't find a "SQL expert", but you might find a Microsoft SQL Server expert or an Oracle expert or a MySQL expert. But neither RPT nor BAK files contain any database data.

6. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

Well, I attempted to convey my situation as clearly and succinctly as possible. I have been doing it for months and have been told I was neither clear nor succinct. The software is called ADP Hollander/Powerlink 2. It contains a used auto parts interchange aka "The Hollander Interchange Manual" with provisions for recording Quotes, Delivery Tickets, and Invoices for selling parts and Purchase Order sections for buying parts. It recorded all vehicle purchases and inventoried the individual parts that were saleable on those vehicles. It then tracked the inventories as parts were harvested and sold. The 1-5 station license was $250 per month.
    The inventory was then uploaded each night to a master inventory called EDEN and each member of EDEN could see the inventories of all the other members. When a customer called you entered the year, make, and model of his vehicle and the name of the part needed. The "Hollander" then gave you the interchange number of the part and a list of cars which also used that part. It checked your yard inventory and told you whether or not you had the part in your yard. If none was found you did a "locate" on EDEN and it showed you who DID HAVE the part and any info, such as price and condition, entered by the owner. This subscription cost $338.71 per month. After taxes it totalled a little over $600 per month.
    I used this software from Qtr 4 2007 until the end of the year 2011. The data contained every single stock purchase, parts and salvage vehicles, and the sale of the harvested parts and disposal of the hulk. The VINs of these vehicles must be recorded and after shredding must be uploaded to the NMVTIS database where vehicle histories are tracked by the FBI to uncover insurance fraud. All of this data must be kept by a business for tax audit purposes and the VIN numbers for investigation purposes.
    I'm not a computer WIZ or a lawyer but it seems to me that the author owns the software but the user owns the data. I no longer use the software since I closed down at the end of 2011 but I must have access to the data. I called ADP Hollander and they told me that I could re-license the software, for a minimum contract of 12 months, for $175 per month and I could access the application. They said that unless I deleted any data, it is still on my computer.
    They then said that I could find "someone knowledable with MS-SQL" who could open the files on my computer and extract the data. That's where I am now.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If the data is in a Microsoft SQL Server file, then look for the MDF file on your computer. If you have one, you have some data in some form. If you don't, you don't.

8. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

Thank you...I will do that right now.

9. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

EUREKA!

What now?

10. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

I first heard the term MS-SQL when I began this quest.
    On someone's advice I have downloaded Crystal Reports in an effort to open .rpt files. They are empty.
    Someone else had me open MS-SQL Server Management Studio Express in an effort to open .sql files. They contain only code.
    You are the first to inform me my data would be in an .mdf file. Can you help me get it out.

11. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

I found a tutorial on youtube to attach the data base so I can open and read it but I'm getting an error message MS SQL Server Error 5123 "Create file encountered op sys err 32 (the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process)"

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I'm not sure if SQL Server Express can open the file or not. If you still have the other program installed, remove it.

13. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

That leads me to another problem. On advice from someone I was trying this and that download and I now have a problem with REMOVE in Control Panel. I'm learning that these SQL apps can not be downloaded to over write existing versions. I saw one for 2012 and I thought I might as well get the latest version BUT I run XP Pro and it got rejected. I tried to write over an earlier version and now I am in a pickle. I am getting corruption error messages and trying to REMOVE all traces of SQL is not working. I can't find instructions for manually removing the app.

14. OBE17

OBE17 Thread Starter

Also...I tried to restore to an earlier setting date and it still can't get past that corrupt SQL files message.

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Why can't you uninstall programs? And what can't you uninstall? Be specific in describing what happens. Include exact and complete error messages.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1064695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice