Retrieving Data from a 'bad' disk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bbsan

Not sure where to post this. I have a disk that was working just fine, yesterday. It's about 1/3 full of files. This morning, I put it in the drive and I get the dreaded "disk is not formatted" error and no idea why.

This is a perfectly good disk. I tried it on two computers this morning with the same result. How can I retrieve the data? I know there's a way.

I have Windows XP on all computers.

bbsan

innybuddy?

I tried opening a Word file from the recently opened files list. I got the "we had a problem opening your file" error, with suggestions for recovering the data. But, I can't run either Recover Text or Open and Repair unless I can see the file.

How does a disk go from working one day to unformatted the next?

bbsan

innybuddy?

I tried opening a Word file from the recently opened files list. I got the "we had a problem opening your file" error, with suggestions for recovering the data. But, I can't run either Recover Text or Open and Repair unless I can see the file.

Another weird thing. When I went back to the recently opened files list, the file for that disk is no longer on the list. I tend to have interesting, if not entertaining problems.

bbsan

Okay, using Bad Boy's free evaluation, I was able to see all the files, however, of course to recover them I have to buy the product.

Aren't there any share/freeware file recovery programs?

Couriant

James
Static could be the cause.

Try searching www.majorgeeks.com or www.download.com for those programs. I haven't had the need to use those so...

just out of interest, go into command prompt and see if you can access the files from there. (Start > Run > type CMD > then type A: )

bbsan

MAJORGEEKS led me to PC INSPECTOR, which did the trick.

Thanks, again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online