1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Retrieving Emails and Addresses from a backup.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Popa Mintin, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Popa Mintin

Popa Mintin Thread Starter

I have so much stuff on a new C: drive that I don't want to loose, but I have years worth of emails and addresses backed up on an external USB drive but can't find how to merge them with the new installation. I can't even find how to open them from the external drive so I can't do an 'Export' so, obviously, I can't do an 'Import'.

Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Popa Mintin

2. valis

valis Moderator

I'm going to move this to web and email; should get a few more views there.

thanks,

v

3. valis

valis Moderator

also, what format are the files you are trying to import in? pst or the like?

4. Popa Mintin

Oh! I see, I didn't even mention that it's Thunderbird that I'm asking about... put it down to lack of sleep trying to get these emails back.

I don't actually know what format they are, I've not changed anything so it's whatever Thunderbird's default is.

If it makes any difference, the PC's OS is Win.7 Pro 64bit, the backup on the external USB drive came from Win.7 Pro 32bit.

Popa.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    See throoper's post # 6 in this thread. The issue in that thread is somewhat different from yours, but throoper's detailed instructions apply.

7. Popa Mintin

Hi, I'm in a similar boat to Tron12, I have a back-up copy of all my files from a failed Win.7 Pro 32bit PC on an external USB drive. My PC's been repaired but it's OS is now Win.7 Pro 64bit.

I can follow the principal that you're explaining, however I have some minor problems.

On both sets of T-Bird files, under Profile (On both, it's actually 'Profiles' with an 's') the abook.mab file is in an extra folder, 'lqz9xqeh.default', I figure that shouldn't make any difference to your instructions, which I followed but on opening T-Bird (and opening Address Book) there wasn't anything at all in the PAB.

Next, I tried to follow the 'Mail' instructions. Your instructions say [On the Win 7 create a new folder in T-bird and name it "From XP"] I took this to mean 'Under the main T-Bird folder' where it appears between 'extensions' and 'hyphenation'. Looking in the folders under 'Mail' I can find no 'From.sbd'.

So... Here I am asking for your help...

Popa.

8. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Hi Popa.
    Just so you know. The folder Profiles is the parent folder that contains all Profiles you have. The "extra folder", lqz9xqeh.default, is your actual Profile.
    If the Address book displayed OK in the old install, it should display when you swap it out with the one in the new install.
    First thing is, did you make sure you had T-bird closed when you swapped them?
    Next to check is right click the abook.mab and make sure it's NOT Read Only.
    If that's not it, open it with Notepad (or the text editor you use) and see if it contains data (be careful to not make any changes in it).
    Only other thing I can think is if there were other abook files that had a number, abook-1.mab, abook-2.mab, etc.
    If an abook corrupts in a Profile, T-bird sometimes generates a new one with a number and abandons the old one.

I've attached screenshots of the sequence for creating and activating the new folder.
    Start by right clicking the account name in the folder pane of T-bird and clicking New Folder.
    Name that FromXP (or whatever you prefer).
    Right click FromXP and click New SubFolder. Name it Bob.
    Click Bob to open it to view.

When you open the lqz9xqeh.default folder>Mail folder>Account folder (it will be named the same as the server you use, mine being incoming.verizon.net), You should have a FromXP.sbd folder with 2 Bob files inside where you will paste the files from the old install.

Be sure when copying and pasting to only do the files and folders inside the Account folder, not the folder itself. If you see the files Inbox, Sent, etc. you're good.

Attached Files:

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I moved the above two posts here to try to avoid confusion in that other thread.

10. Popa Mintin

Thanks Throoper, you helped point me in the right direction.

In the end, I deleted absolutely all Thunderbird files from my C:\ drive, then re-installed Thunderbird.
    Next I searched the whole of my external USB drive for Thunderbird files (and there were quite a few scattered all over the place) until I found the 'Profiles' file with the newest abook.mab files and copied the entire 'xxxxxx.default' folder and pasted it in the place of the 'yyyyyy.default' folder in the C:\ drive, then just in case it mattered, I re-named xxxxxx.default to the original yyyyyy.default name.

This didn't actually find every address I needed so, since fortunately I still had the copy of the Profiles folder from when I was trying previously, I moved the 'new' yyyyyy.default folder to somewhere else on my USB drive and did the whole thing again using the saved Profiles folder, moved all the addresses into the CAB list as you suggested, then reinstated the 'new' Profile.

This time when I opened Thunderbird I had all my old emails and addresses restored either in the CAB or PAB. When I can spare the time I'll weed out the duplicates. It took some finding but your instructions were very helpful, thanks again.

Popa.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1038337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice