1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Retrieving files from iMac G3

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by synsthpot, Mar 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. synsthpot

synsthpot Thread Starter

There are files on my old iMac G3 computer that I can't get off. When I put in a blank disk, read-only and read-write, a dialogue box says the disk must be initialized but then says it is locked (not) and can't do it. I've tried using a jump drive - same problem. Tried old floppy disks - it couldn't see them. Tried connecting to my newer iMac with ethernet cable - didn't work. There is no migration manager to help with firewire connection. I've tried getting on the internet with the old computer to email myself the files. It would go to the Google search page with old Explorer, but would not go to any other pages, saying that a secure connection could not be established. Tried myriad fixes for that but none worked.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    What type of files are referring to? Personal data files (ie: pictures, audio, documents, etc.) shouldn't be a problem.

Having said that, with a Windows machine, I would simply pull the drive and connect it to another PC using a USB adapter and copy off whatever I needed.

3. synsthpot

synsthpot Thread Starter

Thanks for replying. The files are documents, short stories I wrote in ClarisWorks years ago. I don't have any hardware skills and don't think I could take out the drive myself. Right now I'm taking photos of the stories and then typing them over again in another computer but it's taking forever!

4. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

The issue is that the G3 is a pretty old MAC. Are you using OS 10 and is it 10.4.11? You have the same issue I have with my iBook. Old software that won't log onto very many sites using Safari or any other browser..

Do you have a USB port and a thumb drive? See if you can open the files using Text Edit. If you can, see if you can save them in a .txt format or if possible, a .doc format.

5. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

Have you tried booting your iMac in Target mode?

6. synsthpot

synsthpot Thread Starter

The G3 is using OS 8.6 and I seem to have messed things up on it back when I was using it but it's so long ago I don't remember what went wrong or what I did afterwards. Actually, I also have an old iBook G3 with OS 10 and it seems to be working normally.

I did try a thumb drive but the old computer reacted the same way it did with the disks - it thought it was locked and wouldn't open it.

I think I will be ok if I can get the files off the old computer - I had other old story files on some floppy disks from the same rime and BBEdit was able to read them on my present computer.

I'll try your suggestion of using target disk mode and see what happens.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!