1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Retrieving Files From Old Hard Drive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stickman10, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stickman10

Stickman10 Thread Starter

Hello everybody. My best friend Pete, my 12-year-old Black German Shepherd, has just passed away. I am devastated and have some great pictures of him on my old PC whose motherboard crashed and would love to have them in order to make a memorial photo book. The hard drive has not been damaged. These pictures would mean a lot to me.

After some initial research, I purchased a hard drive enclosure for the old hard drive and plugged it into my new PC. While the computer is able to read the hard drive, the folder in which I have the pictures is protected. When I attempt to click on the folder, I receive the following message: "You don't currently have permission to access this folder."

I tried simply dragging the folder onto my computer, but this did not work. I also tried clicking on the option to "Import videos and pictures" from the pop-up window that appears when I plug in the enclosure. It found the pictures, but again said that "access is denied."

Old hard drive was in a computer running Vista. My new computer is running Windows 7.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Will

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have found by using a different operating system running from the CD you can get past this permissions issue

Ubuntu can be very useful as well as other alternatives - all listed below

------------------------------------------------------------------------

UBUNTU Stand Alone CD

NOTE : version Ubuntu 12.04
    see if you can see the Harddrive and get data off.

If you have another PC with a cdwriter and spare CD
    goto http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the ISO http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

You can also run from a USB device now - if the Machine supports booting off a USB Stick
    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

full details are here (Note this is for version 9 - so the start up options are slightly different )
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

click on the image "download ubuntu"
    Select a location
    then begin download
    Save the file onto your PC – remember where you saved it – so you can find it again to create the image bootable CD.

You do NOT copy the ISO file onto a CD - you have to use the ISO to create a bootable CD
    The CD creator software you have on the PC may have an option to create an image from an ISO
    If not - use this free program http://www.imgburn.com/ - Choose the option Write image file to disc
    OR
    you can use this stand alone ISO Burner to burn the ubuntu onto CD ftp://terabyteunlimited.com/burncdcc.zip

When the UBUNTU CD boots - you will see a screen - with Language on the left panel and two option images labelled

== > Try ubuntu
    == > Install ubuntu

You can try Ubuntu without making any changes to your computer, directly from this CD

Use "Try ubunto" ONLY this option this will run from the CD and not install onto your harddrive - be careful, if you do install onto the PC - you will wipe the data and software OFF your hard drive.., so repeat only use option 1

Now you should see a UBUNTU desktop

NOTE: if you only see a black screen - then this is a known issue, and can be resolved by using the following:-

3. saikee

saikee

Yes every Linux can do it!

Linux grants a user root privileges (=Admin in Windows) in a terminal. The command to request it is "su" followed by a root password.

A standard Linux requires/demands a root password and a normal user password when installed. Ubuntu broke this tradition by not having a root password. The command in a terminal can enjoy root privilege is prefixed with "sudo" in front whereby supplying the ordinary user password is enough. Ubuntu does not permit root privilege at the desktop. Use Linux Mint if this is required.

Some distro like Puppy and Slax can be run as a Live CD with the user being root at the desktop (without asking a question and or a need to use a terminal).

When a Linux Live CD is run without install into a hard disk (and therefore no password available for root or user availble) some distros do not demand the password when "su" is issued at the terminal. If one is demanded sometime "root" can be used as a password (like Mepis) or "toor" (as used by the Slax family). The method of obtaining a root password when working as a Live CD is always available in the distro's web site. This standard feature is to be expected.

The root privilege is nearly identifical to MS Windows Admin as far as access files are concerned.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Use Puppy as Saikee said.
    Several of us on here use it for recovery and emergency purposes. I even use it to boot XP in a virtual machine to get MS utilities for recovery of client PCs

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice