1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Retrieving files from unbootable drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jmhackle, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmhackle

jmhackle Thread Starter

I got the unmountable_boot_drive error on the blue screen. Can't even start in safe mode. If I use the system recovery CD's I've got, will I be able to retrieve my files? I'm afraid to try anything because I've got around 300 pictures of the kids that I've not yet transferred to cd's!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you use the recovery disks, the files are gone! I suggest you don't do that!

Is this a desktop or a laptop? Do you have another machine?

3. devil_himself

devil_himself

Boot into recovery console . At the prompt type :

attrib -r -s -h c:\boot.ini
    del c:\boot.ini
    bootcfg /rebuild
    -at the first prompt press "y" enter
    -at the second prompt type what you want to name your windows installation (anything you want)
    -at the third prompt type /fastdetect
    fixboot
    -at the prompt press y
    fixmbr
    -at the prompt press y

exit

4. jmhackle

jmhackle Thread Starter

John Will, it's a desktop and yes, I do have another one.......Mr. Devil, I cannot figure out how to get into the DOS prompt? It's been ages since I've had to deal with this stuff. Usually I just say forget it and buy something new, but I hate to lose those pictures :(

5. devil_himself

devil_himself

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If those options fail, take the hard disk out of the one machine, and install it as a secondary drive in the working desktop. You can then access any files you need before restoring the first machine. If you get a permission error on some of the files on the crashed disk, here's the procedure to fix that: How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!