1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Retrieving Files off Non-booting laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DiamondDebi, Jul 25, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. DiamondDebi

DiamondDebi Thread Starter

my question is can you guide me please, i know there is some kind of adapter or external hard drive case that i can hook up after i remove my hard drive from my non booting laptop to retrieve all my files off my laptop, but I'm not sure which or is there another way before I do a new Windows 10 reinstall/install and it wipes out all my files..
    I did a search on EBay and some came up but not sure difference between 2.5 and 3.5 .. thank you

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

2.5" drives are generally the ones fitted in laptops, so that'll be the one you need to look at. Something like this adapter will likely be a cheap solution to pulling the files from the HDD.

3. DiamondDebi

Ok thank you... so when I purchase the adapter and remove the hard drive from my laptop before I restore.. the one end goes into the hard drive... now what do you save the files on... I attached a pic but I don't think I can save the files on that?

Attached Files:

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Okay, there's a bit more to this job, then. For that adapter in question, you'd have to plug it into another PC. It would be mounted as an external HDD, and then you should be able to access the file structure from there.

5. DiamondDebi

Ok so the only other PC I have is an older desktop, it has windows.. I was hoping I could plug into an another external... so I understand thank you

6. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

You're welcome. Even if it's an older PC, you should still be able to hook up the HDD to it via the adapter and pull the files. You may come across a security issue wherein you cannot see the files on the pulled drive until you take ownership of them. However, if you do, please post back here and we can walk through the process together.

7. DiamondDebi

I bought the USB 3.0 to SATA III HDD SSD 2.5" Hard Drive Adapter Cable 22-Pin Data Power UASP.. took out my laptop drive hooked it up and plugged it into my Compaq Presario SR1503WM desktop .. and not sure but nothing happened am I suppose to choose or open something? thank you

8. DiamondDebi

So basically I removed my hard drive from my laptop... plugged the adapter into the hard drive... and when I plug the USB into the desktop nothing pops up or anything.. please help.. thank you

9. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    What version of Windows is on the Compaq?

There is also a pretty good possibility that the HDD from the laptop has gone bad. There may be a physical defect with it, or an electronic issue that could keep you from seeing the drive. If that is the case, you will have to decide just how much your data is worth. There are companies out there that will attempt to retrieve data from dead drives. This process is not cheap. It can cost hundreds of dollars. Most will do an assessment to determine the chances of retrieval prior to charging you.

10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  11. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Liz, your first suggestion is similar to what lochlomonder suggested above, and, I believe, is what the OP bought. It provides the +5VDC through the USB connection. On older systems, like that Compaq likely is, there may not be enough power supplied through the USB port.

12. DiamondDebi

Ok I'm so very confused... I bought the USB 3.0 to SATA III HDD SSD 2.5" Hard Drive Adapter Cable 22-Pin Data Power UASP as lochlomonder mentioned above.. attached it and plugged it into my desktop which had Windows 7.. and nothing happen.. please tell me, if you can, step by step what else I need to buy to hook it up and pull my files off my laptop drive.. I really appreciate all the help... thank you...I miss my laptop

13. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    When you connected HDD to your computer, did you click on my computer and see if you have an assigned letter for that HDD. Open it and find the files you need to move to your new HDD.

14. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Mark, I had one adapter and using it, the computer could not see any hard drive attached to it. I ended up buying a different one with a power supply.

I got rid of all my old hard drives (my husband and I took them apart and keyed the platters) so I don't have any old drives to test and give a step by step.

15. DiamondDebi

Every letter I picked said nothing was connected to it

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice