1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Retrieving old e-mails

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ngriffiths, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ngriffiths

ngriffiths Thread Starter

I'll try to give us much info as I can (as a non IT expert)

I use Outlook (not outlook express) and had it set up with a number of different profiles (set up via control panel/mail). One profile for myself, one for gf and one for son.

I got a laptop, so I deleted my profile and, thus, my e-mail account from the Computer. I now realise I've lost all of the contacts I had and some old e-mails from these old contacts I could do with retrieving.

Is it possible to set up my account again on the original computer and retrieve the old messages from the inbox and sent items? In an even better scenario, can I then transfer this information to my laptop so laptop?

I look forward to any assistance.

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi ngriffiths

What version of Outlook are you using?
    What operating system?

Outlook uses Personal Folders (.pst files) to store your messages and contact information.
    Deleting a profile does not delete the .pst file, it simply removes it from Outlook.

Windows XP:
    • Open My Computer,
      Tools > Folder Options > View tab,
      under Hidden Files and Folders, verify Show Hidden Files and Folders is selected.
      Remove the check mark for Hide Extensions for known file types.
      Apply, OK to save and close.

Search:
    • Start > Search > For Files or Folders > All files and folders,
      In the field for: all or part of the file name
      Key in:
      .pst
      Below that, click on More advanced options
      in the field: Type of File, select (All Files and Folders)
      place a checkmark in:
    • Search system folders
    • Search hidden files and folders
    • Search subfolders
      click Search

Copy the .pst file to the laptop and connect it to Outlook:
    File > Open > Outlook Data File
    Browse to the location of the .pst file and select it, the Personal Folders (.pst file) should then appear in Outlook.

Yes, you can recreate your profile, in Outlook, on the original computer and using the same steps above, reconnect the .pst file to Outlook.

Let us know if that works for you or not.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice