Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Retrieving Paperport files using the .max extension

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  plodr 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20201212064624.000000-300
Processor: AMD A10-5750M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 21 Model 19 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8650G, 768 MB
Hard Drives: C: 908 GB (675 GB Free); D: 20 GB (2 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 1984, ver 01.16, s/n PDQKF068J5RRIB
System: Insyde, ver HPQOEM - 1, s/n 5CD3485YV8
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I cannot open any max. file documents from PaperPort. I save many items to Paperport and as yet, have been unable to get to any of them. I get the message that my 64 bit isn't compatible with 32 bit. Is there any way I can get to see the files I have saved? I need, in particular, a death certificate from my late husband in order to complete an inquiry. Any help would be appreciated. I save most of the files in PaperPort 8 and currently have PaperPort 12 on my computer.

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi PattyJean and welcome to TSG.

I'm a user of Paperport 8.0
Or rather, I was until recently.

I don't know why you are having an issue with 64 bit versus 32 bit seeing that your operating system is 64 bit and 32 bit software should run on it.

There used to be a free Paperport Viewer from Nuance, but Nuance sold the Paperport line to Kofax and I don't see any listing there.

Sadly, Nuance wasn't very good with customer support.
https://www.nuance.com/support.html
I don't see any mention of PP product support there any more, either.

However.
I do know Adobe Acrobat will convert .max to .pdf files.
Because of the lack of PP support, I've converted all my .max files over in to the .pdf file format.

#6 · (Edited)
I stopped using Paperport decades ago. The MAX files were too proprietary for me and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to someday view them so I converted all my files to either jpgs or pdfs so I'd always be able to view them.

It might take me some time to go through all my files on an external hard drive and data CDs. I will see if I have the viewer archived.
If I have it, I will zip it up, upload it to my google drive and send you the link in a personal message.

I encourage you to convert ALL those MAX files to either jpg or pdf once you can see them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I went through all my floppies, hard drive, and CDs/DVDs. Apparently I don't have the viewer.
I did discover I still have 5 floppies from 2000 - 2006 with MAX files on them that I can't see so I'll be searching to see if anyone has the old Nuance viewer archived and available for download.
Or any other program that can open MAX files.

#7 ·
SUCCESS!!!
I went here https://visioneer-paperport-viewer.software.informer.com/download/
downloaded and installed this viewer (v5), attached a USB floppy drive to my laptop and can see my MAX files.
(During the install it asks for company and name. Microsoft is filled in on both lines. Don't change this.)

Since I don't have paperport installed, I can't send it to the paperport desktop.
What I can do is a screenprint and save it as a jpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.