1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Retrieving Registry through DOS?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by NathanLL, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NathanLL

NathanLL Thread Starter

Hi, this problem deals with multiple issues but ultimately I think it's a Windows XP question. MY OS was XP, and a I received a virus (I think) last week that corrupted some of my system files. To correct it, I ran scanreg.exe, which was something I used to do when I ran WindowsME. I still had a copy of the ME CD on my hard drive, which is where I ran scanreg.exe from. This returned my system registry to the last successful time it had been booted, but unfortunately, it only recognized the last time it had been booted in ME, not XP. So my registry has been set back to where it was in January when I upgraded, and now I can not access Windows at all. I am fine with reformatting the drive and starting from scratch, but I want to retrieve my Outlook Express e-mail and address books. I retrieved the .DBX and .WAB files and checked them on another computer, only to find out that they too had been reset to what they had been in January. I was not aware that scanreg.exe had that much power! So my question is this : is there an XP equivalent of scanreg.exe that I can use to update my system registry to a more recent boot that will allow me to retrieve my current information from Outlook Express? Is there any other way of retrieving that information? I can only access the drive in question through DOS; if I plug the hard drive into another computer it sees the drive as unformatted. Any suggestions would be very appreciated ... I have been pulling my hair out to find a way to get that info back!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice