1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Retrieving tasks in Outlook

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by billyg1957, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. billyg1957

billyg1957 Thread Starter

I use Outlook exclusively for managing my "to do's, using the task function. For the last couple of days, outlook wont open...instead giving an error message, with the option to send the info to MS or not. My guess is that the program got corrupted.

Is there a way to save the tasks prior to a reinstall?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    The Tasks are included in the PST file, so if you were back up your PST file, you will have ALL of your data within Outlook.

3. billyg1957

Hi Dave A. My last back up of that file is a few months old. Since I can't get the program to start now...and therefore unable to back up the most current data....is there a place that the current data is stored?

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    The current data is in the PST file.
    To make a back up, one does NOT have to have Outlook running. Just copy the PST file from where it is, to another location and/or drive.

5. billyg1957

Hi, I am having trouble locating this file. I did a search using *.pst and could not find any current file. Do you know what the file name would be?

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    It is a hidden system file, so you need to turn OFF the hidding of such.
    They should be in "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook" on a Windows 7, Outlook 2007 machine.

7. billyg1957

Hi,
    Found it...imported the file onto my other pc...and all is fine now. Thank you very much for your help. I will mark this solved!!

8. billyg1957

Hi Again, I removed the Outlook program by unistalling ms office. When i reinstalled the program...it still gave me an error message and then shuts down. Any ideas? I was able to export the tasks and am using this on my laptop. My hope was that I would be able to reinstall office, import the tasks folder back in...and be all set.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice