1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Retrieviong lost CD-R files

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ttesteve, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ttesteve

ttesteve Thread Starter

I had a load of files stored on a CD-R but stupidly tried to move them all around on the disc (thinking it was a CD-RW disc) and I've now lost them all. (I assume that, as part of the move operation, the files were deleted from the disc but couldn't then be re-written due to lack of space)

When I access the disc, the file list is now empty, although the properties of the disc suggest that there is 417MB of stuff still on it. Is there therefore a way of retrieving the files on the disc?

I've tried selecting "show all files" instead of "Don;t show hidden files" in the folder options but that hasn't helped.

I'm on W98SE using a HP CD-writer 9500 series and Adaptec's DirectCD software if that helps.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received as it would be a massive help to be able to get these files back.

2. jameso321

jameso321

I have seen some software for recovering stuff like that.

Let me look and get back to you.

jameso321

3. jameso321

jameso321

4. jameso321

jameso321

This is the feature that you will utilize.

"Intensive UDF File Examination"

good luck

jameso321

5. ttesteve

ttesteve Thread Starter

Cheers James.

I've tried that software and it HAS found the files so at least I know they are still there to be recovered!

All I have to do now is decide whether or not I want to pay the $50 to buy the full version of the software so I can actually recover them!! (unless anyone knows of a cheaper/free option?)

6. chalky

chalky

7. jameso321

jameso321

Ah yes CD-Roller, I have used that before to read a scratched CD.

I stopped using it though, becuase it did not skip bad areas fast.

Alcohol 120% has fast skip features for scratchs.

I guess that has nothing to do with your issue, though.

Maybe CD roller has the feature we need though to look in to the old tables that contain the locations of the original files burned.

UDF File Examination

jameso321

8. jameso321

jameso321

Akito pointed out that this app should do the job without having to pay for it. It's part shareware

http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/

I have used this before, too. I did not know it did recovery.

9. ttesteve

ttesteve Thread Starter

ISOBuster is the one that I'm looking at at the moment.

On the shareware license, it'll tease you by doing the search and showing you what files it's capable of retrieving but I can't get it to actually retrieve them without paying for a registered version of the software (so near yet so far!).

It's only about £18/$25 for the full version though so think I'll bite the bullet and shell out for that amount.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice