1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Returning Dell Computer to Factory State

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by olanark, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. olanark

olanark Thread Starter

I just received a second-hand system and I am wondering if I can reset it to factory condition, before passing it on, retaining Windows, but removing all the former user's files and tweaks, file by file. System info is below. On my Acer this was a simple keyboard command, but I have not been able to find a command for this Dell.

Thanks.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name
    System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
    System Model OptiPlex GX260
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2391 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A05, 2/26/2003

2. vicks

vicks

You might contact Dell and see if you can get a set of recovery disks from them. You will need your model number and the service tag number on the machine. If this is a desk top the service tag is probably behind the door on the front where the USB ports are.
    Vicks

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    i have a houseful of dell computers that are new and used laptops and desktops. dell restore disks consist of a dell branded copy of windows xp either pro or home and the other disk has all the drivers needed for that model of computer.they dont make recovery disks. they will not restore it back to factory conditions as what it was when it was brand new.good luck trying to get any disks from dell unless the computer is brand new and either came with vista or windows 7. believe me ive tried when ive bought used dells that came with nothing.your best bet is either borrow a copy of xp pro from someone or try to find a dell branded copy on ebay etc.since an optiplex is a desktop the service tag should be on the side along with the COA sticker.since your computer is 7 years old judging by the bios date u wouldnt want to restore it to what it came with anyway because a lot of that stuff is outdated by now or trial versions.as far as drivers u will have to go to the dell website and find your model of computer and download and burn to a cd the correct xp drivers for that computer.hope this helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/962915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice