1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reusing a dead Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CFIannotti, Jul 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CFIannotti

CFIannotti Thread Starter

My Vista computer's MB is toast.Data has been sent to an external HD, by pros.
    I am wondering if I could buy another MB, and install Linux on it, or would it be futile? W10 laptop won't run my Flight Stm, and that is what makes me want to try something different.
    Just pros and cons please. TIA

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Is Vista the computer brand or the OS?

You can replace the motherboard and continue using the computer, assuming you can find a similar replacement. Whether or not that is cost effective is another issue. Which OS you use, is completely up to you, on any computer, at any time. Although if it's a gaming rig, I don't know that Linux is a good choice assuming you have Windows based games to run on it.

3. CFIannotti

The OS is Vista Home SP 2. It has a decent processor,and good video card (Navidia GTX710) great for flight sim.The on;y discs I have are recovery discs. I heard / read a new motherboard would require knowing my validation key. To activate Vista.
    Maybe it is as simple as that. Experts who saved my data onto an external HD said finding a motherboard would be a challenge.

4. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    If you can't reinstall Windows without buying a new license, there are many Linux distributions that will probably work well and are free.

I'm posting using a Live distro called Xenialpup Linux.
    It's an older computer, AMD Phenom ll 840T with 6gb memory and no hard drive.
    If you want a hard drive install, distros like Mint and Ubuntu are popular.

Of course, they do not run Windows apps, but there are many free Linux versions available.

An easy way to start out with Linux is with Live USB flash drive installs.
    That way you can easily check out a variety of Linux distros till you find the one that suits you , with less effort than hard drive installs.

It is said, Linux isn't for everyone. But you won't know till you try out several versions.

I use XenialPup exclusively for Internet browsing. With Firefox installed, the Internet is the same as with Windows.

5. CFIannotti

Johnny B, thanks.

6. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    You're welcome :)

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Vista should work if you can find the exact same motherboard, you might find one on Ebay.

8. CFIannotti

managed,
    agreed,
    I still have my XP desktop, with a better processor, but a suspect power supply. Today I will swap PS, and see if I can get the XP going. If not, I will check if that MB is shot as well (odd coincidence if both died within a day of each other).Then I would hope to find an XP board (like that OS better.)

9. CFIannotti

Vista power supply is good, XP PS is bad, so I will see if experts can swap (Connectors to XP HD and other devices are different.)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice