1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reverse Lookup for Memory Sticks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CDobyns, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CDobyns

CDobyns Thread Starter

My father recently purchased two DDR DIMM memory modules that were not compatible with his laptop - and which are non-returnable. They weren't huge $$$ investment, but rather than let them go to waste in the front hall closet shelf, I thought I could retail them somehow - as long as I know what laptop system they are actually compatible with. Any suggestions on website that I could use that would allow me to enter the manufacturer/product# and get some systems that the memory modules would work in?

2. BG-0

BG-0

If they're corsair, just go to their site.. If not, what brand and model (or product number) are they?

3. Koroshiya

Koroshiya

First Name:
    Rob
    All you need to do is find out the type, speed and size of the RAM. Your original packaging should have that information.

For example, my desktop RAM is:
    DDR2 800MHz PC2-6400 1GB
    Type Speed Size

Your numbers won't necessarily look like that, but as long as you have the info, you have a chance at selling it. People need to know this because of system limitations.

You should look at the manufacturer's website for your laptop to find out which type it takes.

4. BG-0

BG-0

You should also find out their voltage (1.8, 2.0, 2.1 but I think highest laptop voltages are 1.8), and the XX*XX Mb (example 32x64Mb = 256MB). These things make a difference in compatibility. But most people on the other side of eBay don't think of that... So, it's up to you.. ;)

5. CDobyns

CDobyns Thread Starter

Hmm, okay these two memory modules are:

Crucial 256MB PC133 SODIMM SDRAM Laptop 144PIN CM256-2 Modules

I'm not sure how I could cross-reference those into the Crucial website, but I suppose I could I could offer these for sale on our in-house bulletin board at work - with the proviso of a full refund if the module(s) prove to not be compatible.

That's unless someone can crack the code on how to reverse the lookup off the Crucial website for me?

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    PC133 is OLD technology. And I am sure that there is going to some interest in it. Finding a system that these will be compatible with these days is going to be difficult. I am thinking that E-Bay is going to be your best bet. If you go to retail stores PC133 Sodimms (if they even have them) are expensive to buy per Meg. You might find someone with an early Dell Inspiron laptop, as these often used PC133 Sodimms.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

I hate to say it because I sell on eBay all the time, but 512 meg pc 133 laptop ram has no value at all, unless $15-20 means that much to you.

8. Koroshiya

Koroshiya

First Name:
    Rob
    Yeah, dude, that's really old stuff. You're better off selling it to a friend than online. It's stupid expensive to buy the stuff retail, but used sticks aren't worth jack.

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Even selling it to someone locally, it is going to be hard to find a decent selling price. I have an old HP Pavilion and it is maxed out with 384Mb pc133. Systems that old are not used to much anymore.

10. BG-0

BG-0

Here's your RAM, if it's worth anything to anyone http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT32M64S4W7E
    Unfort. gotta agree.. It's just not worth selling that old stuff. Maybe you could find someone who has bought RAM that's compatible with your father's laptop and not his, like that RAM is ;) And do a trade with him.

11. CDobyns

CDobyns Thread Starter

Okay, no realistic options on doing a "trade" - however, whenever I hear that it's not worth trying to sell something, that's when it's time to throw down the gauntlet.

These modules were both purchased for $18 each, plus some nominal shipping. I offered the modules for $15 each at work - and lo and behold, I had an inquiry to purchase them both today. I figure if I can get $15 for each module, given that they are brand new, and we find them a good home - it's a win-win for everyone.

The ending is yet to be written on this one . . .

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!