1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reversing mouse direction

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tebbett, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tebbett

Tebbett Thread Starter

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me. I have been looking for a software or a mouse that has the ability to reverse direction (the rollerball, not scroll wheel). I need the up/down/side motion reversed. I seem to have a case of computer mouse dyslexia... I can only use the mouse upside-down to get it to go in the direction I need. This is causing hand-cramping after 17 years of doing it this way. I have searched everywhere, but can only find prank .exe's that will do this as a joke. If you know of anything out there, please let me know. Thank You.

2. happyrck

happyrck

if the "prank exe will work" ..why not just use it

3. Tebbett

Tebbett Thread Starter

Because one of them only works for 30 seconds and then states that the person has been pranked... it's just a temporary joke.
    The other one I found works permanently until you end the task, but only on one monitor. I have dual monitors and it only works on the left one... it won't let me scroll over to the other monitor, it just stops on the edge on the left monitor. I have to quit running the .exe to be able to use my other monitor.
    If I can find a prank one that would work on both, I would be really glad to use it.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sounds like it's time for a new mouse and the easiest way to solve this is an optical mouse with no rollerball...invest the $15-20 in your computing, you won't regret it.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

How does an optical mouse allow you to reverse the direction like they want. I don't see that setting on any of mine.

6. Tebbett

Tebbett Thread Starter

I was wondering the same thing... I currently do have an optical mouse.
    I am looking into having a co-worker switch the contacts internally in either one with a roller-ball, or the optical one... which ever works. We'll see if it works.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well this is just going way over my head...you have an optical mouse, well it does not have a roller ball then...I give up.

8. Tebbett

Tebbett Thread Starter

I have both kinds available to use here... I was just trying to see if there was a way to do this to either one.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

I guess I don't understand the problem at all and have never heard of such a thing.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The problem is pretty simple. For whatever reason, he wants to reverse the direction of the mouse. Doesn't need a new one.

11. Tebbett

Tebbett Thread Starter

I know I am an unusual case. I could only find 2 other people/articles on this after much research... oh well....

12. happyrck

happyrck

here is a link to get the prank...maybe you can use the info there to undo the prank...let us know how it goes

http://www.robrob8.com/pranks/fastmouse.htm

if you do download the prank...BE SURE TO SCAN IT BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE

13. Tebbett

Tebbett Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try it out.
    I also just came across a software called PointSmart... it's $99 but if I have to buy it, it's worth it.
    Hopefully the free one works!

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

That may be simple but it sure isn't logical. Can you explain why anyone would want to do this? Why not put monitor upside down, wouldn't that do it also?

15. Tebbett

Tebbett Thread Starter

I know it does not sound logical, but it is the only way I can use the mouse (upside-down) until I find a software to reverse the direction.
    I have been a graphic designer for 17 years and can move around just as fast as any right-side-up user. Don't ask me why... it just is.
    Believe me, I have received many remarks from people on my quest to find a way to do this.
    I thank you all for trying though (or just trying to understand).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/471362