1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reverting back to XP via windows.old.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by PlayJade, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlayJade

PlayJade Thread Starter

Alright, I'm using this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971760/

I have the windows.old folder on my HD, everything intact, but when I type and of the commands, it tells me it cannot find the file specified. I know they're there. ;_;

I'm going to cry.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Step 3 says that if you receive that message to move on to step 4 as follows:

Step 4: Copy the contents or move the contents of the Windows.old folder
    Note When you type one or more of the commands at the command prompt in the following steps and press ENTER, you may receive the following message:
    The system cannot find the file specified.
    If you receive this message, go to the next step in this section, and then type the command in that next step.

Type the following commands at the command prompt:
    Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    move /y c:\windows.old\windows c:\
    move /y "c:\windows.old\program files" c:\
    move /y c:\windows.old\users c:\
    move /y “c:\windows.old\documents and settings” c:\

And, it looks like if you get that same message again, you're supposed to move on to step 5. Its confusing for sure but it looks like you have to figure out exactly where the .old file is supposed to be and get it there if needed. Without seeing or knowing more that's my best guess.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/846702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice