1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

reverting back?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jackjack, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackjack

jackjack Thread Starter

I downloaded the beta version of Microsoft Office Professional 2007 the other day and it seems to have upgraded my Office 2003 applications rather then installing 2007 seperately and leaving me the option of using either 2003 or the beta of 2007. The beta versions are very buggy from what I understand, so what happens if I want to go back to only having Office 2003. I don't have the actual 2003 software CD. The guy I bought the computer from never included it, so I hope that I don't have to go through and reinstall everything to get 2003 back the way it was before downloading Office 2007.

Thanks

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Basically if you do not have the Office 2003 CD, you do not own the license for Office 2003.
    Technically you have a "pirated version" unless you can reclaim the CD.

Installing Office 2007 Beta was a very risky decision in that case.
    I would indeed be surprised if you do not require the 2003 CD to revert, plus the CD is often required for repair purposes.

3. jackjack

jackjack Thread Starter

Why would it be risky? I have gone through and updated this software before and had to run the validation tools and it all cleared so would that mean it is still pirated? Is there a way that I can see if it the real deal and then get a CD for it from Microsoft, or would they charge me out the nose for it like everything else? Thanks

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It's risky because if you have to reload a file from the CD, you have not got the CD.
    Recently I had to do a repair, and it took me a week to actually find my CD. (I keep a copy of the CD loaded on my hard drive now for convenience)

Most copies of Office do allow 2 installs, one on a main computer and one on a laptop or secondary computer but they must be owned and used by the same person.

So that could be why you are not being blocked for updates, but in reality if the guy never gave you the CD you simply do not own the software.

If you could prove to MS (with a purchase receipt for the software or by registration details) that you were the legitimate purchaser and owner (which will be difficult in your case it appears) then they may sell you replacement media.

As the seller probably still had the CD and may well be still using it as the "second install", its likely he is the rightful owner, you have the pirated copy. It should have been uninstalled before the PC was sold to you.

As I see it, you either get the original CD from him or buy a new copy for yourself.

5. jackjack

jackjack Thread Starter

O.K. thanks. Now about the beta stuff. How reliable is it? Could I use this to write my school papers and do my school projects on and not have too many problems or would you bite the bullet and go out and buy new software?

6. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

The whole purpose of making beta stuff available is to work out the bugs before the official release. Bugs are normal in beta stuff! If you can't afford to buy Microsoft Office -- it's not cheap, by any means -- you might consider downloading Open Office, which is FREE and works very well with Word documents (the only thing I've tried).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485141

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice