1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reverting to original MAC address

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by aaborkar, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aaborkar

aaborkar Thread Starter

I had initially spoofed my mobo NIC MAC address to give me access to the school network. I spoofed it via registry key NetworkAddress in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Now, I need to go back to the original mobo address but the NIC wont seem to go back. I tried multiple ways, delete NetworkAddress key. Uninstall/reinstall NIC. After each change, I tried both disabling and enabling NIC and also rebooting. Now the NIC seems to be holding the first spoofed MAC and wont go back to the MAC sticker on the mobo. My last option is to reinstall XP but I don't want to do that and I'm not sure if the MAC will change either.

I need to revert to the original MAC as this is making it difficult to RDC into the computer unless someone has first locally logged in since the network is MAC restricted. Is there a way to change the MAC in the Bios? I am running XP Sp3.

Any suggestions?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

If you made a registry modification, surely it can be reversed?

3. aaborkar

aaborkar Thread Starter

You are spot on. That is the case with all the LAN cards on other machines. But this one seems to be problematic. I am looking also looking at Device Manager / Ntwk Adp / RealTek ... / Advanced / Network Address which is blank. I am working if windows is keeping a backup of the MAC address somewhere else.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

5. srhoades

srhoades

The MAC address will be printed on the card, write it down and change the registry key.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Have you tried removing the registry entry then uninstall the card from device manager and rebooting.

7. aaborkar

aaborkar Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

I tried both utilities that u suggested and both show that the MAC is not spoofed. This can't be right as the sticker on the motherboard sticker shows something different. Another way of verifying is that looking at the MAC address meta data:

00-1A-4D-52-02-7F (Original)
    GIGA-BYTE TECHNOLOGY CO.LTD. ...

However my board is EVGA so there definitely some issue here. I am able to spoof the MAC to my original MAC no problems. The reason I am concerned about going to original MAC is for remote dekstop connectivity. That is (i have another thread on this), I cannot login into my pc from rdc after a reboot unless someone has locally logged in first. This I presume is because my school network is MAC restricted and access is granted to the MAC of the Gigabyte board, however since I did first spoof (from EVGA to Giagbyte) via registry, the change kicks in after the registry loads which happens only after a login.

8. aaborkar

aaborkar Thread Starter

I uninstalled the device from both device manager and driver cd. Rebooted and then installed the driver again. But still no luck, I can't believe a reflash was involved since all I have been doing is windows updates.

9. aaborkar

aaborkar Thread Starter

Tried that too, no luck. I am keeping reformatting to a last resort but that should HOPEFULLY cleanup all these issues, except that its a pain in @$$ to install at the softwares again.

10. aaborkar

aaborkar Thread Starter

So I did the unthinkable. I reformatted XP and the original MAC is back. Was XP possibly keeping a backup key which it was authenticating first?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919584

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice