1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Revise Excel startup

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Don Miller, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Don Miller

Don Miller Thread Starter

I want to change the workbook that starts when I open Excel. I have done this in the past when I was running Windows XP with no problems but now I am having problems with Windows Vista. I have followed the instructions contained in the help section of Excel (2000 version, professional) and although I remove the current workbooks in the Excel XLS folder, the program replaces them and the startup remains the same. How can I remove them and insert a new workbook in their place? Thank You.

2. Don Miller

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

I would click the small, red outlined triangle in the far upper right by the post number, which will allow you to send a message to a Moderator. Ask that your Thread be moved to the "Business Applications" Forum. That is where the "Excel" folks are more likely to see it.

{redoak}

4. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    I would place the spreadsheets that you want to load automatically into the XLStart folder.

5. Don Miller

I have tried that but the original workbooks remain in the stratup and then I have 3 workbooks opening. What I need to do is remove the existing workbooks in startup and my efforts to do that have failed.(n)

6. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Try renaming the old XLStart folder and creating a new one with only the Workbook you want to open.

Regards,
    Rollin

7. msandi

msandi

I can get Excel files to open as you indicated here, but what I'd like to do is when I open a particular Excel file, I would like a message to popup that reminds me what I need to do before doing anything with the worksheets in this file.

I realize I can put a message on the first row and create a formula to copy it to the other sheets, but often I am at the bottom of the file and would miss that.

I used to program VBA for Access, so I thought there might be something I could do with On Load or On Open or something like that.

Any ideas?:eek:

8. RHurlburt

RHurlburt

This may be a stupid suggestion .... but
    go to the directory where your file exists, copy the icon.

Then, go to your desktop and paste that link. When you want to go to Excel, click on that file icon and you will go directly to the workbook.

I have this on several of my Excel files and it works for me.

Of course, I may be misreading what you want.

9. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Msandi I would recommend that you start a new thread. Your question might get lost within this thread.

10. exegete

exegete

Howdy. You need to change the Book.xlt file. Open it, by going to the following location:

C\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart

and double click. When it opens this way, you should see Book.xlt as the name. Make whatever changes you want. Then save it and close it.

Now, when you click the new button, it will produce Book1.xls which will include all the changes you made.

(BTW, this is how I change the color scheme so that all new workbooks open with my specified color scheme.)

11. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

You will need to attach a macro to the Workbook_Open event. To do this open the Workbook and press ALT + F11 to open the VBA editor. In the project explorer window on the left side of the VB editor find the object labeled ThisWorkbook and right click it and select VIEW CODE. When the blank code module opens click the drop down combobox at the top and change the value from General to Workbook. This should automatically create a procedure called Workbook_Open. This is where you will place your code for the messagebox. The messagebox function can accept several different arguments but only the first argument is really needed. Just google Msgbox Arguments for more details on how to change the way the messagebox is displayed but what I have include below should be enough. Just change the message to your own.

Code:
    Private Sub Workbook_Open()

MsgBox ("Rollin is the best")

End Sub
    Regards,
    Rollin

12. msandi

msandi

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/672809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice