1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Revisions in MS Word 2016 (Office 365)

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bj nick, Nov 30, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I want to be able to look at how my document has changed over time. So......I've been learning about markup/tracking changes, etc. but there's a basic understanding I'm missing. If I open a document I've worked on and elect to open the review pane, I see zero insertions. This, after I've made extensive revisions/edits/etc. to the doc. I will even make a bunch of changes at that point, just to make sure: insertions, deletions, add picture, delete it, eliminate paragraphs, etc, etc. The review pane still shows "zero"......what am I not understanding?

2. Chawbacon

Chawbacon

First Name:
    Jack
    Hello again BJ Nick.

Track changes will only be recorded while track changes are enabled. If track changes are enabled you will see a darker gray box around the "Track Changes" button on the MS Word ribbon, or the "Track Changes" button will be grayed out if locked. Otherwise, you will need to adjust the settings to display what information you want to see tracked (per your other MS Word thread).

Personally, I have inadvertently toggled track changes off in the past, which prompted me to prevent an inadvertent track changes toggle from occurring by applying a track changes password, via selecting the drop down button just below the "Track Changes" button and selecting "Lock Tracking."

3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Thanks for that. I just tried making a few changes after making sure Track Changes was on. I could see the revisions clearly.....until I hit Cont. Z to undo them. Then they're gone and I can't see the revisions any more.......what am I not getting here?

4. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

So if I understand correctly: unless I have selected "track changes," nothing will be tracked, and I won't be able to see all the revisions I've made over time. If I select "track changes," then I will be able to go back and see all the changes. Right? It's been a baffling issue, because another problem I've had is in Google Drive, all the Word docs I upload show all the markup....same thing when I share docs w/others.....I just need to understand the whole markup/revision/Google Drive structure, I guess. There must be logic to it. In any case, I will take your suggestion and go ahead and lock "track changes."

5. Chawbacon

Chawbacon

First Name:
    Jack
    If you hit Ctrl-Z and undo the changes, the changes would be removed; however, you would probably see the changes again if you immediately use the Redo button prior to saving, or closing, the document. Think of Ctrl-Z as manipulating the most recent information stored in temporary memory.

6. Chawbacon

Chawbacon

First Name:
    Jack
    Track Changes should only be recorded while activated; however, previously recorded Track Changes will remain stored with the document regardless of the Track Changes toggle state. Once a Track Change is accepted/rejected it should be removed from the document memory, and Ctrl-Z should recover an erroneous Track Change accepted/rejected command. And just to make things a little more confusing - Comments can be added to the document regardless of the Track Changes toggle state.

As for the Google Drive/sharing issue, I have not heard of that particular challenge.

7. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Thanks for this.....I understand the use of Control-Z...use it all the time. What I wasn't getting is that if I don't tell MS explicitly to "track changes" from the get-go, then I won't see any revisions. I think I get it.....? Still confusing, but in my recent docs I'm just automatically hitting "Track Changes" right away to make sure.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219851

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice