1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Revitalizing 01 Toughbook: PCMCIA WPA2-PSK Registry settings

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DarkLight1, May 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DarkLight1

DarkLight1 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    I may not find the answer I'm looking for but I might get ideas from someone older and wiser :unsure:

Computer: 2001 Panasonic Toughbook CF-M34/17

CPU: Intel Celeron 400 MHz (Pentium II)

RAM: SDRAM 128MB

PCMCIA: Belkin Wireless G Notebook Card F5D7010 (Version 6000uk), USB 2.0

The PCMCIA wireless card and Software is correct for this machine and operating system.

Problem: In Belkin Utility Software when I change Network Authentication to WPA2-PSK it will only allow a Hex Key value and will not allow Passphrase be selected, hence; I'm trying to force it to work in the registry (...\Services\Class\Net\). I Changed AuthenType to 7 (WPA2-PSK) and I'm stuck how to change it to passphrase i.e Router password, or which other changes I need to make.

PLEASE don't :LOL:, I love this computer: 19 years old with touch screen (y)

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Please see page 27 and 28
    https://fccid.io/K7SF5D7010F/User-Manual/Manual-745215

OR
    http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/p74682uk_f5d7010_man_hr.pdf
    page 20 and 24

Have you set WPA-PSK security in router

You will I hope understand that it is quite difficult to find an exact hit on that PCMCIA card as there appears to be many variants using similar ID
    Although I am reasonably certain that the guides will cover yours and it appears to me that a passphrase can be used rather than a hex key

3. DarkLight1

First Name:
    Jim
    Thanks for your reply. I researched the card and it will work on this computer with Windows 98se OS. It is reading the signal strength from the router but will not make a connection. When I set it up the protocol was WEP by default but the router only will work using WPA/WPA2-PSK (I checked). The Belkin software is the correct software for this card I got it directly from their site, it is quite similar to your first option but again when I change the settings to WPA-PSK the button to select password is locked. I wonder would I be banging my head off a brick wall contacting Belkin o_O. Thanks again

4. Macboatmaster

I understand that BUT what are the settings in the router
    even although you cannot connect to the internet you should still be able to access the router

Untitled.png

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I find it difficult to believe that Windows 98se even heard of WPA, much less supports it.

6. DarkLight1

First Name:
    Jim
    I understand what you are saying, It would be a good place to start if I could just make a connection to the router

Attached Files:

7. DarkLight1

First Name:
    Jim
    I thought the wifi adapter needed to support WPA, that the operating system was immaterial. But I could be wrong :(

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Well, for Windows XP you need more than the basic XP (which is more advanced than 98se of course) and an appropriate wireless adapter. Copying from Set up the secure wireless network in Windows XP:

"You will need any of the following:

Windows XP SP 2

Windows XP Service Pack 1 and HotFix 815485

Other 3rd-party WPA supplicant"

9. Macboatmaster

My good colleague TerryNet is correct.
    I never thought of that aspect
    TerryNet - One to you (y)
    I must have been :sleep: ing

You certainly cannot use Windows Wireless configuration, as 98 did not cater for that
    Unless the Belkin driver provides the necessary changes then indeed WPA is not available

See here for Belkin although not your exact model
    https://www.belkin.com/uk/support-article?articleNum=5400#ts2

and here for all the info on the issue
    https://msfn.org/board/topic/175486-wpa2-for-windows-9x/

That all said can you access the router when you set WEP as your screenshot shows no connection to router
    Have you tried typing IP of router in address bar

10. DarkLight1

First Name:
    Jim
    Tnx guys (y) for your help so far, since it is not going to be a simple solution I have ordered a new Hard drive and extra RAM and and will copy an image of this Hard drive onto it as I'm afraid if I mess with it to much could end up corrupting the system one way or other. Also, to install Windows xp (I think) may delete Microsoft Office and other programs I wish to keep so will report back next week.

11. Macboatmaster

The 1000$ question is as I asked

12. DarkLight1

First Name:
    Jim
    I apologies, I forgot to reply to your $1,000 question. Yes, I tried connecting to the router (198.168.0.1) directly from Explorer to no avail, I intended also to see if I could find a legacy version of Firefox but my gut feeling is I'll get the same result. But I shall look later on.

13. DarkLight1

First Name:
    Jim
    I'm sure back in the age of this Dinosaur, Microsoft technicians must have had a Manual for register editor functions and their value representations especially for Network communications. If I could find that Manual it may possibly help my cause. But again it is a long shot:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

14. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Question... when you connect with WEP... you can get connected to the router, and surf the internet but cannot get to 192.168.0.1?

Are you sure that 192.168.0.1 is the correct gateway IP?

15. Macboatmaster

Further to the above from my colleague Couriant

He may be able to help more than me, as he has a knowledge of this issue greater than mine

I notice that you have configured WPA2-PSK but with TKIP
    I thought WPA2 should be AES

What is the router make and model and who is the ISP

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice