1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reviving Toshiba 420CDT Laptop

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by DJT, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DJT

DJT Thread Starter

This laptop is running Win98. Both autoexec.bat and config.sys are empty or non-existant, and it is running slow. I recall systems of this vintage needing a boot up instruction which would allow access to all of the available RAM. Or maybe my memory fails me.

Can someone clarify content requirements for autoexec.bat and config.sys.

Thanks

DJT

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy DJT...

W98 doesn't use the autoexect.bat or the config.sys files, it's normal for them to be empty...

If it is running slow perhaps you can post a hijack this log, and maybe someone will see a problem...

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't mention what the processor speed is and how much RAM is installed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I was using Windows 98SE and Windows ME, no command lines were needed in the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post a HijackThis log, as requested, so we can see what's running in the background.

4. DJT

DJT Thread Starter

Thanks.

Processor is pentium with 40MB RAM.

I am covering off a few other basics right now and will get back.

DJT

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That computer has only 40 MB of RAM? :eek: It's even older than I assumed it to be. :( That's one reason why it's running so slow. (n)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice