1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Revo Uninstaller question

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by rookieguy, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rookieguy

rookieguy Thread Starter

I have seen some discrepancy on how to use Revo Uninstaller when cleaning up leftover registry items that the scan finds.

After the scan is complete a listing of anything leftover in the registry is listed. It seems there are some that say to only check(tic) the bolded items that it finds then delete, while others advise to just "Select all" then delete. The school of thought for those that suggest "Select all" say that by "selecting all" you are only deleting the leftover items that Revo has found.

So my question is... wouldn't checking only the bolded items be one in the same as "Selecting all" ??

Can anyone familiar with Revo Uninstaller clear this up?

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

I just double check and select the bolded items as some programs
    have cross dependencies that will be listed that I don't want to remove.
    Like some games from the same developer will use the same software
    to connect to the internet.
    So I read the entries and only delete the ones I want gone.

3. TOGG

TOGG

Although I haven't used Revo Uninstaller very often, when I do I only use the 'Safe' option and select only bolded items for deletion.

I suspect that, if you used the more aggressive settings, the list of items offerred for deletion would be bigger and could well include some of the sort of thing leroys1000 mentioned.

Personally, I don't believe that odd pieces of junk in the Registry do any harm (except in some very limited circumstances when attempting to reinstall a previously removed program) whereas over enthusiastic pruning could lead to a very unfortunate outcome.

4. valis

valis Moderator

what togg said.

With revo, I just let it do it's thing. I always choose the advanced mode, let it find whatever keys it wishes, and go from there. That said, however, I'm very familiar with the registry, and as a beta tester, generally have to reformat a few times a year.

Main thing is, if you have data on your main system drive, back it up before you do ANYTHING that involves the registry.

5. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

i only delete items that are in BOLD as some of those items are deep embedded in folders that don't necessarily need to be deleted. just read carefully what you're looking at before you delete anything :D

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  7. James4630

James4630

Revounstaller will only delete the items in bold even if you select all of them.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!