1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RH 8 and ATI Drivers

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Hardegg, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hardegg

Hardegg Thread Starter

This is my first post here and I am new to Linux as well.
    I install RH 8 on my comp with no problems, downloaded all the updates avalible again no problems.

Installed winex and Jedi Outcast as far as I know no problems (but not sure). When I launched JK2 program came up even though fonts where to small. Then when I went into player mode screen went garbled so I went to ATI for their Linux driver.

I have a Radeon 9700 Pro.
    I ran their little proggy to tell me which version driver I needed.
    downloaded and double clicked file like i would in windows.
    said it installed fine, but when I rebooted I could'nt get back into x windows. I tried "startx"
    but no good, I am going to try xconfig when I get back home tonight to see if I can change driver back.

what help or advice can anyone give me?
    I would like to make this work with games so I assume i need a better driver than the default.

Also I asscoiated exe file extension for JK2 with winex in the usr/bin dir. Is that a bad idea?

Thanks in advance. I have really been trying to figure this stuff out but windows logic doesn't apply to well:(

2. blaa

blaa

Cant help you out dude , but 9700 pro , sweet i want one , any good , also check my post out man maybe yer help me out lol - suse 8.1 installation l8trs.:p

3. Hardegg

Hardegg Thread Starter

Hi Blaa,
    I really do like my 9700 in win XP. verdict is out on Linux still though.
    I don't think i can be of much help though.

I can tell you many ways that installations will fail though :)

4. Hardegg

Hardegg Thread Starter

Ok got GUI back up ...without reformat.
    :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!