1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rich Text Problems with Hotmail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by GibsonSG, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GibsonSG

GibsonSG Thread Starter

Hi - I am hoping somebody out there can help me with a frustrating problem I have with my hotmail account at the moment. :(

My 2 month old Dell desktop has suddenly stopped me from applying the rich text format when composing a hotmail message. In fact it will not even revert to standard text only mode, and sends blank emails. In fact I see I have the same 'Error on page' message in the left hand corner of the browser with this website where I am writing this mail, as I do on hotmail new message window. I get the following error message:

Error: 'L_Default_Body_Style' is undefined

I thought it was a Java isssue, and have since uninstalled and re-installed it, but with no luck.

Any hints ?

martin

2. jenzie

jenzie

Have you resolved this issue yet?

I'm having exactly the same problems. I also have an issue when forwarding or replying to a received email - all of the formatting is 'hard-coded' into the body of the text. Then when I send the email, the body ends up blank!

Very frustrating :mad: I have sent several Help Support requests. Even though their replies are friendly and supportive, I have not been able to get the issues resolved.

I use both a Laptop (Internet Explorer) and PC (Firefox) with the same issues.

One suggestion from their Support was to use a PC with a faster internet connection! After years of using dial up with no problems, I now have broadband - I don't think that is the problem.

Cheers
    Jenzie

3. GibsonSG

GibsonSG Thread Starter

Sorry Jenzie, I still have not solved the problem after much net surfing. :confused: It does not seem to be an isolated problem however, but all the solutions offered don't seem to work for me.

I actually just noticed that I cannot get rich text even in this message window ( but smiley faces etc. appear on the tech guy message posted page ).

I did purchase and download Registry Fix from RegistryFix.com, and although their live chat help service was prompt and committed, were unable to solve the issue.

I did today contact Dell, and await their response. All the software loaded on this almost new Dell PC is paid for/registered/official etc, so I cannot see that it is something I have done. I have used computers for 10 years and whilst not Bill Gates, consider I have a reasonable grasp of their operation.

Whilst I cannot email, I basically have an anchor sitting in my study ! (n)

I will let you know what happens.

Cheers

martin

4. ROOSTERS

ROOSTERS

I am having the exact same problems with hotmail. Errors on pages, rich text tollbar not being able to be disabled, all messages going out blank.

I have tried all that msn help desk have advised with no luck; have updated java virtual machine and internet explorer (version is 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519); have had 2 tech guys look at it; all with no luck.

This is becoming extremely frustrating as it has been happening for the last 2 weeks. If I use Netscape I am able to highlight and delete the rich text toolbar and then send messages which are not blank but that do have crap underneath as well. However I prefer to be able to do it from internet explorer.

If anyone finds a solution please advise.

5. bmacca_1981

bmacca_1981

I've read about this problem but have not found a good answer that works. When I go to send or reply to an email in hotmail an error appears. It will let me actually send or reply but the recipient receives nothing but a blank email from me. Some of the errors I have received are

object expected
    '_initEditor' is undefined

also
    'L_DEFAULT_BODY_STYLE' is undefined
    'L_MODETITLE_TEXT' is undefined
    'L_TIPCUT_TEXT' is undefined

I'm not using outlook just hotmail itself.

6. GibsonSG

GibsonSG Thread Starter

Hi - this is part of a response I have had from Hotmail here in Australia, which appears to recognise the problem with Rich Text ( or lack of it ! ) could lie with them. Dell have given up on it, and says it is a Hotmail issue. This unfortunately for me may be the case as test Yahoo email account I made lets me do rich text with no hassle at all.

I got a 24 hour reply when I mentioned that I was considering starting a Yahoo email account. I suppose a mass exodus from Hotmail could hurt their MSN page and related advertising we all get when we log out of Hotmail.

Thank you for taking the time to report this to us. We have verified the information that you have provided that this is also being experienced by other Hotmail members and we have engaged our resources to find out what is causing this issue. I understand that the functionality of your account is severely limited by this and I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that you are experiencing. I will take the responsibility in making sure that your concern will be given priority.

We are sorting through the large amount of data from customer feedback that we have right now and once we have determined what is causing the issue, we will use this information to remedy the situation. If you noticed anything at the time that you first encountered the issue, please do let us know. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated and will help us in resolving the issue at the soonest time possible.

You are valuable at MSN and we look forward to providing .....

Have met another guy in here in Australia last night whom gave up on hotmail a few months back for the same reason.

Would be curious to the geographic location of some of the other replys on this post.

Cheers

martin

7. bmacca_1981

bmacca_1981

Hey gibson

I'm from Melbourne. I fixed my problem by resetting all the deafult options in internet options only last week but then the problem returned two days ago. I know at least two others having the same trouble. It is wierd though becuase it doesn't happen to me at work but happens at home.

I received the same reply from hotmail not long ago.

Hopefully something is done soon, as its simply not good enough but I suppose you get what you pay for :rolleyes:

8. sekirt

sekirt

I'll address this to all of you...

What OS are you using and what version of IE? Any service packs?

Are you accessing Hotmail through a client like Outlook or Outlook Express? Or are you using the Hotmail Website?

Something you can try:
    Temporarily disable anti-virus/firewall/popup blockers and toolbars. Including Yahoo Companion, if you have it. If that solves the problem, isolate which program is causing it and change settings within that program.

sekirt

9. Peregian

Peregian

I have client with the same problem and I have been through everything I can think of with no luck. Funny thing is hers is a Dell too. Do any of you that have this problem use other brand of pc or are you all using Dell?

10. ROOSTERS

ROOSTERS

all three of mine are not dell.

11. sekirt

sekirt

ROOSTERS

You already tried disabling the programs I suggested?

Since you stated in your original post that you access it through IE, try registering the following files:

Close all open windows, incl any IE windows.
    Start->Run. Type (or paste) each one of these separately and click OK for each. If they successfuly register, you will see a pop-up stating that.

regsvr32 softpub.dll
    regsvr32 urlmon.dll
    regsvr32 mshtmled.dll
    regsvr32 jscript.dll
    regsvr32 inetcomm.dll
    regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll

sekirt

12. ROOSTERS

ROOSTERS

SEKIRT

Thanks I registered them successfully however same error messages still appear

13. c.a

c.a

I am having the problems you are all describing as well. I have requested help from Hotmail staff on several occasions but nothing they have told me to do has helped. I even pointed out that I opened a new hotmail account and that one works fine..so that leads me to believe my settings on my computer are fine.
    This all seemed to start when I tried to turn on/off the rich text editor in the composing window.
    I have also noticed in my options, under personal signature that I can not uncheck the box referring to rich text editor.
    So, as it stands now, I can finally send emails again, but they are all blank!!!
    Please, if anyone knows the answer to this, please post and I will be eternally grateful. Thank you :)

14. sekirt

sekirt

ROOSTERS

For Windows version (Win 98/ME/2000/XP) - Download iefix:
    http://www.winxptutor.com/download/iefix.zip

It is a general purpose repair utility for Internet Explorer which repairs Internet Explorer by registering it's core DLL files. Additionally if it detects Windows 2000/XP as the Operating System, it runs SFC to restore missing or corrupt Windows system files. Have your Windows CD handy.

This the only suggestion I have at this time.

sekirt

15. Phoenix1946

Phoenix1946

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/390383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice